Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbuchner1

Vista compatibility problems - EUREKA I know the reason

Guest cbuchner1

The is currently a bad problem with Windows Vista and TileProxy. It leads to a few black tiles popping up occasionally - and worse some bad ground blurring the LONGER you cycle over a specific spot. Let me explain why this happens. I had my Eureka-Moment after a short nap:TileProxy makes contents on the filesystem change transparently and depending on the behavior of Flight Simulator (e.g. aircraft position, etc).But Windows Vista has this new feature: It copies often accessed files to memory so that they are available much faster later on. The longer you cycle over a terrain area in FSX on Vista, the more often specific ground tiles get accessed. There is a point when Windows Vista decides that this ground tile should be cached in RAM for future use. And that is the problem.The time instance at which the tile is cached, is unpredictable and random. And the tile then has a fixed and limited resolution - Tileproxy won't be able to improve its resolution later on because cached reads are not captured by filesystem filter drivers. Duh.So any later read of this tile effectively bypasses TileProxy. I had suspected that for a while now but now I know the reason.Two Possible solutions come into my mind to fix this problem: - do not allow the Vista cache manager process to read tiles at all - Only allow FSX.exe to open tiles while TileProxy runs.I am not sure which solution is more elegant right now. ;)Expect this Vista incompatibility to be solved with Beta 4 towards the end of this month.Christian

Guest cbuchner1

Right: Superfetch is what they call the aggressive caching in Vista. I tried a "net stop superfetch" command in the command shell and it actually turned off the SuperFetch feature, however it did not resolve the texture blurring/corruption problem that I am seeing.The problems seems to be related to the Cache Manager inside the Windows NT kernel. However this is a really difficult and advanced topic. I just ordered the book "Windows Internals" to get some reading on this subject matter. My understanding of the Windows I/O model just is not good enough at this point.What I find interesting is how TileProxy works so well on Windows XP - this also has a Cache Manager. ;)There is another possible workaround to the problem: I could attach to the FSX.exe process and hook into its CreateFile() calls (that is how to opens a file for reading in Win32). I could force FSX.exe to perform the all its tile I/O in noncached mode - means it does not make use of the Cache Manager and always goes through the filter. By doing more hooking into FSX, we could even get rid of the entire "tileproxy.sys" filter driver. This could even be the fastest solution. Christian

Hi ChristianJust want to thank and praise you for the effort and dedication.THANKS ALOT !!. Where do you get the energy from ..?RegardsRobert-------------------------------------Asus A8N-VMAMD Athlon 64 3000+XFX Nvidia Geforce 6800 XT PCI-E [256]2Gb DDR400 RAMCH products Yoke and USB Pedals

Intel i7 - 9700K @ 3.60 GHz   |   Asus RTX 3080  |  32 GB RAM  |  Saitek ProFlight Yoke System and Rudder Pedals | X-Touch Mini | Honeycomb Bravo TQ