Sign in to follow this  

FS2004 suggestions forum

I have read on Microsoft's FS2004 web page that the development team reads forums for suggestions, feedback, etc. on their simulation. I thought I might find such a forum topic here, but do not. Can anyone point me to a forum in which I might make suggestions that will be read by the developers?Thanks

Guest drobson

You've found it! :-)Darrell

Guest ben_hewitt

I think it is too late now they are at beta stage, no extra features will be added just fixes of problems they are having with the beta version!Nice idea, just too late!

Like others have pointed out, it is a bit late for any suggestions envolving FS2004, but I would add that Microsoft has a couple of fellows assigned to the daily duty of reading the MSFS forum here at AVSIM and at the other popular forums on the web.Its no secret that someone from the MSFS design team has been in the forums here at AVSIM for the past several years and they probably post too, its just a secret as to who or whom it is. That's not a speculation on my part either, as members of the FS design team have told me directly that they hang around these forums and they are directed to copy any suggestion they see in these forums, that they think is good or positive, and copies or memos of those suggestions are sent out to various FS team members for consideration.The FS team members are not allowed to identify themselves (for obvious reasons) and they are not allowed to discuss any details concerning unreleased products (other than those details that have been a part of any press-release). Bottomline! If you think you have any ideas or suggestions worth considering, then post them here in the MSFS forum, it may be too late for FS2004, but if your ideas are good (and the MSFS design team hadn't thought of them) they just may be able to include them in FS2006.Bear!

Guest BAW083

"Its no secret that someone from the MSFS design team has been in the forums here at AVSIM for the past several years and they probably post too, its just a secret as to who or whom it is."Is it you Bear?

Guest Paul_W

>The FS team members are not allowed to identify themselves >(for obvious reasons) and they are not allowed to discuss >any details concerning unreleased products (other than those >details that have been a part of any press-release). I visited the Netwings CFS3 forum daily for about five or six months as I tracked its progress prior to the release last October, and the same MS approach was also true there...until probably some time shortly after CFS3's release. Around then two of the CFS3 team started to make occasional postings and answer the odd question there, and I believe they also contributed on another heavily used combat sim forum. Certainly the users knew who they were (one even used "MS" as part of his forum name), and from what I saw they were welcomed and shown an appropriate level of respect. Personally I think it was refreshing to see them there making occasional contributions; this "must remain remote" approach is a bit odd these days, especially with a potentially expert group of programmers, flyers and enthusiasts here. Of course, in the combat sim field there's the obvious contrast between the generally remote MS approach, and the heavily engaged and in-touch approach of Oleg Maddox, the lead developer for IL-2 and Forgotten Battles; the expert combat sim crowd (and they really do seem to be expert, down to discussions of the accuracy of various historic insignias), give Maddox high marks for his engagement.On the other hand these FS forums can be, shall we say, very negative towards developers at times. When I've seen what I would have to say is gratuitous ill-will being directed at the Fly team and Austin Meyer of X-Plane fame in the past, I've had to wonder if MS doesn't have exactly the right idea, which is to steer clear of direct involvement.Still, those situations are in the minority, and I would think some tentative, occasional involvement directly by the MS team in these forums would certainly be welcomed by the users. So that would be my suggestion to the MS team, whoever you are.... (You can now visualize an icon of one evil dog shifting his gaze from one side to the other as at the end of some bad cartoon--an icon these forums really need.)

>Is it you Bear?< Nope, not I, but during the MS presentation at last year's AVSIM Conference, it was made very clear by the MSFS design team that they do listen and they have specific individuals assigned to reading all of the various forums on a daily basis. I also got a kick out of one the MSFS team members, whom had a photograph of his personal aircraft (Maule) and in the photo his wife was wearing a BFU (Bush Flyers Unlimited) T-shirt! I don't think it is important that they identify themselves anyway, what's important is that they do listen and they do take legitimate suggestions seriously. I completely understand and agree with why they don't identify themselves here, but the truth is all of the fellows from MS that I have met are all maddly addicted flight simmers and in almost every case, realworld pilots as well and most are either members of AOPA (Aircraft Owners & Pilot's Association) or EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) or both. All you have to do is attend our (AVSIM's) annual Conference & Exhibition and you'll have the opportunity to meet some of these gentlemen and I'm sure you'll find that their enthusiasm and dedication to this hobby to be rather impressive, as I did!Bear!

I would hope that they (the MS snoopers) perceive such frankness and concern as being indicative of the true level of feeling of simmers and have the intelligence to steer clear as it would serve no useful purpose to be part of the discussion, when you you would prefer to be part of the solution. Ill-will is only negative when it fails to bring about positive change and is always a question of perception, and not always intention. Some people do get offended by the slightest insult, or even no insult at all (I can recall constructive criticism being round upon in various flight sim forums of late) while others seem blind to their own inadequacies and those of their products in the face of even extreme provocation and, erm, utter `frankness`.ChasW

Thanks for the responses. Wayne Allen has suggested a new FS2004 forum. What about a forum specific for improvement suggestions? Might this not help the developers identify these issues more efficiently? I know that I have found wading through the multitude of daily posts quite time-consuming. Just a thought!