Sign in to follow this  
Guest Arlei

Is it normal to have differences in resolution between ...

Guest Arlei

Hello all,Hope all is going well with you guys.First of all, I would like to publicly thank Christian for such a great program. Good job!I have just a quick question:I

Guest cbuchner1

It's a limitation of the FSX terrain engine when using this particular type of photo scenery. I know Google has data up to 30cm/pixel, but I cannot use it in FSX.

Guest Arlei

Christian,Thank you for replying.I was doing some testing yesterday and I found the following:URL #1: http://kh2.google.com/kh?n=404&v=16&t=tqtsqrqtrttrrtrqtsrqURL #2: http://kh2.google.com/kh?n=404&v=17&t=tqtsqrqtrttrrtrqtThe first URL shows the most detailed version, covering a small area (because it has 20 levels of zoom)The last URL shows a less detailed version, covering a bigger area (because it has 17 levels of zoom)Of course, both images are 256 x 256 in size.In a clear attempt to get only the most detailed images, I came up with the idea of changing the ProxyUser.INI file to read like:min_level=20max_level=20After changing the INI file and clearing up the World folder and Cache folder, I started TileProxy and FSX to check what the effect would be.Well, it didn't work the way I expected it to work.I could see, by opening the Cache Folder, that TileProxy downloaded images with several different levels of zoom (starting from 9 up to 16 as part of the image file name). But any tile at the 20th level of zoom was downloaded.So the questions are:1) Is there some kind of

Guest cbuchner1

Because the area covered by an FSX tile (1.1km) and the limit of 1024 pixels for an FSX tile does not allow you to go above zoom level 17.If you wanted to go to Google's zoom level 19, you would have to generate 4096x4096 pixel times which FSX cannot handle.Maybe with the DX10 patch ;)

Guest Arlei

ok Christian,Got it :)Just a quick question: You mentioned the limit of 1024 pixels for an FSX tile. But the images I have downloaded in my cache folder is 256 x 256 in size.As you can see, I'm not understanding a basic concept here... :-hmmmCould you clarify?Thanks

Guest cbuchner1

Consider that FSX and Google use a different coordinate system (different scaling along the axes, different tile size)The BMP of FSX cover a constant ground area (about 1.1 km squared) but can be of different (pixel) resolution depending on distance to the aircraft.The tiles Google/Virtual Earth use cover a much different ground area depending on their zoom level and they ALWAYS have 256x256 pixel resolution.There is some maths and scaling involved to convert between the two worlds.In principle you could just download everything from Google's Zoom Level 17 and generate 1024x1024 pixel tiles all the time, BUT... you don't want to wait 3 hours to load your scenery. And you'd have Google's black helicopters hovering over your house in no time.Christian