Sign in to follow this  
Guest fredhoward

Restricting width of downloaded data area

Guest fredhoward

Christian, The only problem I have with TP is that it seems to download huge areas of data, many miles away from the path I'm flying. I flew the lengh of the Thames in the UK from Isleworth to the Thames estuary and it loaded an area of at least 50 miles in all directions around me. A similar thing happened when I flew around Sydney harbour. I enclose a screenshot of the "top down view" from within FSX. That's a huge chunk of NSW ! I reckon that's an area of about 550 X 350 Kms ! I've tried another flight with "Bulk Extend" reduced to 15 in the ".ini" file but it doesn't seem to have had any effect. Thanks for a marvellous piece of work, Christian. Fred a>[/url]Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Guest cbuchner1

It's your detail radius that you set to medium or high in the Graphics menu.There's a reason Tileproxy defaults that to "Low".

Guest The Wizard of Oz

Me tooWOZ

Guest Bramski

In the top down F12 View, does tileproxy download all the tiles at every zoom level that you can see when zoomed away out, or does it only download them at a lesser zoom level then grab the high res ones as you fly over?

Guest cbuchner1

The outer tiles are at 4x4 or 8x8 pixel resolution typically.So a single JPEG from the online service is enough to generate several hundred or thousand BMP tiles. Download times don't matter much for tiles tiles "far out", but the overhead of creating thousands of tiny BMP files matters.But I can't simply not load the BMP files out there. FSX would either crash or corrupt the scenery.

Guest fredhoward

Thanks, Christian. That explains it, but I use that setting because the lower settings result in blurry textures in the areas away from the aircraft. Is it OK to use the "small" setting whilst using TP to collect the textures and then reset to "large" whilst flying the area again with TP disengaged ? What effect does reducing the "bulk extend" have. How low can it be practically set ? I reset mine to 15, but I think G.E is cutting me off early. No problems so far with V.E. Thanks again for the advice. Fred

Guest cbuchner1

bulk_extend causes that instead of downloading individual JPEG tiles for any "far out" regions, Tileproxy grabs a bunch of tiles at once. This leads to less individual HTTP requests and overall a higher loading speed.It has no effect on the visual range displayed by FSX. And the amount of additional megabytes transferred should be almost negligible.

Guest Rob_man

Also find need High LOD setting to encourage loading of highest textures around aircraft, even at expense of long initial loading time. What's seems to hurt too is once you've flown a number of flights inside an area of 300x100 kms TP takes much longer to load - imagine because it how has all the hi-res tiles and tries to load them best it can within LOD high setting.High setting looks SO DAMNED GOOD though - its addictive!Rob

Guest cbuchner1

bramski said that by reducing the "conn=20|..." argument in the module_config string to 10 he was able to use Google with much less lockouts than before.The conn argument is new since Beta 4 I believe and is described in the manual.

Guest The Wizard of Oz

Yep I have mine set to 5 (ie conn=5) this still seems more than adequate and seems to avoid lockouts. Setting mine to 10 or 20 caused lockouts at times.WOZ