Sign in to follow this  
yarnevi

NORTON blocks TileProxy... Fix ?? How ??

How can I let TP (TileProxy) access the Internet without DISABLING NORTON ANTI-virus entirely?? It makes me very nervous to leave my system completely vulnerable while I'm flying online...Any ideas ?????

Guest cbuchner1

My guess is that it's the firewall blocking outgoing traffic. Can you enable proxyUser.exe for outgoing traffic somewhere in the Norton Firewall?Otherwise, turning the Antivirus off should be safe if you're NOT surfing the web or reading E-Mails at the same time as you fly the aircraft."Normal" PCs should already be somewhat safe if you enable the Windows Firewall - it just blocks incoming traffic that might otherwise hit system services with exploits and execute malicious code. But outgoing traffic (like Tileproxy's connections to the Internet) will not be affected by the Windows firewall.It's also much safer to have a router with built-in firewall in front of your PC instead of hooking up the PC directly to the DSL modem via PPPoE.Christian

I swear that I have searched through every option in NORTON to allow TP to bypass whatever protection there is. I just can't find where I have to change the settings on TP. I'm sure that there are, but where and how ???Very frustrating, but I can still get it to work.

Guest cbuchner1

I do not know what version of Norton AntiVirus you're running or if it's one of the security suites that they sell. Or maybe the Norton 360 package? ;)

Guest cbuchner1

It matters because that one is not just the AntiVirus product, it has a firewall built-in.