Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbuchner1

Upcoming: Support for Y.....! Maps ;-)

Guest cbuchner1

For the US, this newly supported satellite tile service provides excellent coverage in many places, including the Grand Canyon.A bit weird was that their JPEG tiles have 258x258 pixel resolution,probably to provide a bit of overlap for display in the browser.

Guest Biffs

this is very good news! yahoo maps has much more consistant coverage, in terms of resolution and colour! thanks for the update! :)

Christian,This is EXCELLENT news! As mentioned in previous posts, this is the database that has the most environmentally realistic, LOD consistent coverage for the USA, especially the Ameican West and canyonlands regions. Just looking it's hi-resolution levels in Utah for instance I have been simply unable to enjoy the other two main servers, even with color hack enabled, just knowing that such a killer tile set exsisted and was thus far "out of reach". To make matters worse V****L E**TH's recent "upgrade" which added hi res color tiles to Colorado, Montana and other large regions of the west crippled the the color hack method of regional "consistency" throughout the west because LOD 13 and below's color is so vastly different now from the hi-res! When can we expect an proxyuser.ini entry to try!?!?Supplementally speaking, it's interesting you should post just now about this because just before I noticed your post I had been examining the the http://www.i3.com web site where originators and liscensors of this database have their main website...I-Cubed. It's not only used by Y****! but ELEVEN other "partners" they license to, including ESRI, USGS and other big organizations). Interestingly, the "VIS SIM" link on their home page even mentions "Flight Simulation" as a usage for the database. I read elsewhere they are relatively "progressive and reasonable" in their requests for personal usage of the database by organizations and individuals. Thus, I had even begun to consider contacting them about a personal "license" to access their database but was somewhat as to how to approach them and be clear on the technical "interface" issues required by TP, the license issues, etc...Still, a tantalizing thought lingers: If they KNEW about the public interest in the TileProxy/FSX/FS9 match-up you've created, and, considering the near 2,500 downloads for Beta 4/fixed alone, and the nealy 20,000 hits your original release post has garnered, do you suppose they'd be open to providing a "server access service" for TP users at a modest "subscription" rate? It's certainly not beyond a reasonable consideration. Ultimately Christian, you'd certainly be the best individual to work out the details and technical interface with them, if they were warmed up to the idea. So far as I've seen, this is really the finest aerial database existing today, for the USA at least (1 meter or better "color consistent" coverage for the whole USA). Anyway just a thought...WOW, can't wait to try the new configuration out, SOON I hope?....THANKS!

"We shall not cease from exploration...

and the end of all our exploring...

will be to arrive where we started...

and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Guest cbuchner1

Wooha, what a long post. I'm supposed to be in bed now, but let me answer the Virtual Earth issue quickly:You can force the versioning (map generation) argument in the VE URLs low (e.g. to 1) meaning you will get the original version of the map before they started adding starting a lot of color regions (pretty much plain USGS data throughout most of the USA).Beta 5 is out now, have a look at the "Example Service 3" and try to figure out the missing parts yourself.

Thanks for the VE tip CB. Just loaded a flight in Beta 5! Y****! works great! Wowwww!

- T. S. Eliot

Guest Challenger604

Can you post your ini file?

Both of the "figurethisyourself" sections for the new [service Example 3] server URL need to be "yimg.com". That's it.

- T. S. Eliot

Specifically that is... in the "figurethisyourself" portions of the new [service Example 3] URL...

- T. S. Eliot

Guest rbrown3rd

For the Y**** server I am getting "No tile metadata found or metadata corrupted.unsupported version?" What am I doing wrong?

Guest BazzaLB

>For the Y**** server I am getting "No tile metadata found or>metadata corrupted.unsupported version?" What am I doing>wrong? I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I assume this message is a result of your existing BMPs on your hard drive not having the Meta data in them to indicate to Beta 5 which server they were sourced from (as this wasn't part of the BMP file in versions prior to Beta 5) and as a result, a new tile will be generated.

Hi,I did as you suggested for Y**** and nothing is being downloaded. I have used G***** before with no problems.Any suggestions?Thanks,EdPs- I deleted everything pertaining to G*****, if that helps.Just tried the url in my browser and all I get is "Sorry, the page you requested was not found"

Guest Challenger604

Thanks Truthan that got it going. Also the other post explaining step by step how to change the server.I'm starting to understand how it all works now.

Guest rbrown3rd

>>For the Y**** server I am getting "No tile metadata found>or>>metadata corrupted.unsupported version?" What am I doing>>wrong? >>I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I assume this>message is a result of your existing BMPs on your hard drive>not having the Meta data in them to indicate to Beta 5 which>server they were sourced from (as this wasn't part of the BMP>file in versions prior to Beta 5) and as a result, a new tile>will be generated.>I think that explains it because after the flight progressed a bit the bat metadata messages just stopped appearing and the tiles appeared to load normally.