Sign in to follow this  
Guest FPSFREAK

Overclocking Question??

Just have a question about overclocking my CPU. I was experimenting last night with disappointing results. I think I am doing something wrong or missing a step. I was trying to change the multiplier and the frequency settings in the BIOS but the system refused to boot everytime. This is what I have:AMD Athlon XP 2000 (1.67 MHz)512 MB RAM PC2700 (333)ASUS A7V333 MBOGF4 Ti4400The clock settings are by default set at 12.5x133 (1662)I tried changing them to 12.5x140 (1750)even 12.5x135 (1687) yet the system would hang every timeI think my CPU should be able to be overclocked to these small increases. The CPU temp was never over 60C. Am I missing something?Thanks for any assistance!!John-Paul

Guest PaulL01

>Just have a question about overclocking my CPU. I was >experimenting last night with disappointing results. I think >I am doing something wrong or missing a step. I was trying >to change the multiplier and the frequency settings in the >BIOS but the system refused to boot everytime. This is what >I have: >>AMD Athlon XP 2000 (1.67 MHz) >512 MB RAM PC2700 (333) >ASUS A7V333 MBO >GF4 Ti4400 >>The clock settings are by default set at 12.5x133 (1662) >>I tried changing them to 12.5x140 (1750) >even 12.5x135 (1687) yet the system would hang every time >>I think my CPU should be able to be overclocked to these >small increases. The CPU temp was never over 60C. Am I >missing something? >>Thanks for any assistance!! >>John-Paul You seem to be running a little hot, so perhaps you need to cool things down first, could be a lot of things in that regard: Dust, lack of or to much good thermal paste, non effective removal of heat from the case et. CPU Vcore may need to be raised or Memory timings also might be holding fsb back or....Gather the knowledge here:http://www.amdboard.com/ocspecial.htmlMake sure to read the links that apply to your CPU core. :)

Guest FPSFREAK

JP, Your temp readings seem to be on the high side, even for that CPU. Are you getting your temps from the Bios software or an aftermarket program (ie MBM)?. If you have enough experience and don't fear getting your hands dirty pull the heatsink off the CPU and see what type of HS Compound is there. If it's tape, or the general silicone based white paste that is shipped w a lot of HS remove it with a clean cloth and get a hold of either some artic silver or CompUSA sells a very good Silver based paste that you could use in place of the AS. Apply this in a very thin even layer to the bottom of the HS. I use an old credit card to get the layer very thin and very even. This is a place were too much can do more harm than good. Mount the heatsink but dont lock it down. Pull the hs back up to make sure your getting a nice even spread over the CPU's core. Wipe the core off, respread the compound and mount the HS in place. While you are at the store or ordering online you may want to look into a new High performance Heatsink(HS) and fan unit. I like Thermaltake's Volcano 7 but there are quite a few others out there. You didnt mention what memory you are running but I can tell you thatr if it is generic PC2700 from say PNY or thers sold at CompUSA and other outlet stores you may not be able to OC very far at all. Get that heat as low as possible first. Than try turning up the wick. You have the right ideas. As far as voltages go you should need to tweak the voltage till you start to exceed an increase of 15 Mhz or more on your FSB settings. Keep me posted if you have any more questions.Bobby

I didn't see any mention of it, so I'm going to assume one of two things about this post: [1] You guys don't know what your talking about because an Athlon XP needs to be unlocked on the chip itself to overclock (which can be done) or [2] you did unlock it and your not cooling your CPU very well enough as mentioned above.-Matt

Guest FPSFREAK

>I didn't see any mention of it, so I'm going to assume one >of two things about this post: [1] You guys don't know what >your talking about because an Athlon XP needs to be unlocked >on the chip itself to overclock (which can be done) or [2] >you did unlock it and your not cooling your CPU very well >enough as mentioned above. >>-Matt I geuss you never paid attention to the rule, Never ASSUME anything. Funny because for someone to not know anything as you have stated I geuss I shouldn't have my P4 Overclocked as I do nor should I have been able to run my XP2400+ @ 152 FSB before I began to experience any instability requiring me to lower the multiplier. Yes your right unlocking an XP is a way to go and will allow you to run the FSB higher than you normally may to take advantage of memory bandwidth but this does not NEED to be done to overclock. Is there any difference in overall clock speed between a 12x133 setting or a 10x159? I have lowered the multiplier and upped the FSB bus theoretically the CPU speed remains the same..1.59 Ghz. Although the lower multiplier should benchmark better due to the above. The biggest wall to overclocking the older gen XP's is the fact that they run so warm. I'm curious but have you not heard of FSB overclocking?. At least you got one thing right....The CPU is on the warm side..** I'm editing this so that you understand I'm not trying to put you down, merely replying to you in the manner you replied to this thread.**Bobby

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Is there anyway that I could o/c my CPU? I want to squeeze a little more performance out of mine. Don't know if the Intel mobo allows o/c though.Thanks

Guest FPSFREAK

If it's an OEM Intel board than no. The options to overclock are locked out of the Bios to prevent people from trying to overclock. I had heard rumors that intel was contemplating releasing a board with the options open but have not seen nor heard of anything yet.Bobby

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Awww. Oh well, not a big deal.

Guest SoarPics

"You guys don't know what your talking about because an Athlon XP needs to be unlocked on the chip itself to overclock (which can be done)."Seems you're the one who needs to learn more about overclocking. Some XP's come factory unlocked (mine did). All I had to do is install the appropriate BIOS to take advantage of this on my chip.And the original poster asked about overclocking through the FSB. Those who have replied to his questions have offered good advice... cooling options and quality of memory are examples.To the original poster... to some of the good points suggested in this thread I'll add that you should consider adding active chipset cooling. But I would do this AFTER resolving the cooling and memory quality issues first.Here's a good site for assistance with overclocking:http://www.amdboard.com/ocspecial.htmlGood luck,

Guest FPSFREAK

:-beerchug So your one of the lucky ones who got their hands on an unlocked XP..LOL And there I sat w my jewelers loupe and crazy glue LOL

Guest PaulL01

>:-beerchug >> So your one of the lucky ones who got their hands on an >unlocked XP..LOL And there I sat w my jewelers loupe and >crazy glue LOL Any of the new T-Breds can be unlocked below their stock multi without any manual unlocking in most supporting MBs with the new BIOS, but still if one needs to O/C by way of a higher than stock multi because of some hardware limitation then it still needs to be unlocked, which by the way has become harder yet easier: :-roll Now along with connecting some of the L3 bridges others must also usually be cut, the easier part is that the new matrix is no longer the hard ceramic as the original XP was incased in."Once you have arived you are there" -Mike BradyPS:I fixed you beer. :)

Look at my specs. I overclock my CPU from 133/133 to 138/138 that gives me 2200XP speeds. You have fast ram so that's not the issue here UNLESS you have your ram set on 2x which might freeze you with the faster FSB. Some CPUs don't like to overclock whatsoever and each one is differn't. Best Wishes, Randy J. Smith [h3]" A little learning is a dangerous thing"[/h3]AMD XP 2100 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF3 64 MEG |WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"

Guest FPSFREAK

Thanks for the Beer !! It was weird because my MB showed the available lower Multipliers but wouldn't actually use them until I went in and unlocked the little xxxxx.LOL Took me about an hour filling in the laser cut lands and than connecting them with conductive paint masked off with Scotch tape. Worked like a charm and really opened up the OC options as far as FSB went. When I ordered my P4 just got real lucky and wound up w good stepping number. Cheers..Bobby