Sign in to follow this  
Guest rbrown3rd

Good Results

Guest rbrown3rd

I had been running SP1 with earlier releases of TP. I was getting fair and sometimes good results but the sim seemed sluggish and textures were not updating. I was using the G**** server.When TP beta 5 came out I got better results but my frame rates were not very good. Also, texture updates were slow but at least happening. I decided to reinstall SP1 and TP beta 5 with the SP1 option checked. I also edited my ini file to use the Y**** server. Now, the sim has really good frame rates, I lock at 20, and the textures are sharp and seem to be updating nicely. Overall things seem to moving in a positive direction. I am getting quite nice performance and textures with my Athlon 2GB processor and Geforce 6600 GT video card. I am amazed. As far as textures go I have tried them all, Y, G, and V so to speak. The Y*** textures seem to be the best and the color balancing is quite nice. I have long been a fan of G for imagery but now Y has my attention. Don't know if the Y server performance is responsible for my improved performance or the other changes I made. I always hate when I get a positive result after changing a handful of parameters at the same time.

Guest cbuchner1

The way we use the letters Y G and V gives me the c ;)[ that would be creeps ] But hey, every secret society has their codes.

Guest Tashunca-Uitco

Same for me , rbrown3rd .We can juggle with Y , G and V now , whithout problems with SP1 .It's magic , CB is a Wizard ?:-sword

Guest rbrown3rd

How about Y, G, V and then FSX with TP5? Crpy? My rough estimate is that those 9 letters replace about 30 or more if fully typed out. But, I like the secret society concept much better.

Guest triangle

"I always hate when I get a positive result after changing a handful of parameters at the same time."Cardinal rule of IT change management - one change at a time :-) Hard to stick to on your personal PC, especially when you're a little excited, but it pays off in spades.Andrew

Guest rbrown3rd

>"I always hate when I get a positive result after changing a>handful of parameters at the same time.">>Cardinal rule of IT change management - one change at a time>:-) Hard to stick to on your personal PC, especially when>you're a little excited, but it pays off in spades.>>AndrewAmen. I used to be a director of a large IT Department. You are so right and it is indeed hard to stick to on your personal PC. I knew when I did it that it was wrong but hey, I am retired. I can do whatever I want ......and then pay the price afterwards. Ha ha.

Guest triangle

Me too (though not retired) :-) My staff felt otherwise ... they liked to make plenty of changes in one hit ... and then they wondered why none of us got to sleep for three days undoing some enormous mess while the company counted lost productivity of $0.25 million an hour . Quit IT and did something else :-)Andrew

Guest The Wizard of Oz

Are you saying that if you start out from a point and fly at 90 kts say in a Cessna that you continue to get no out of focus tiles?I use Y image have just changed my processor from a AMD 4200 to 6000 and can still eventually get out-of focus stuff with RTM.The only way to achieve sharp stuff is to goto scenery library click OK and wait a few minutes.WOZ

Guest cbuchner1

Did you lock your frame rates? What's your fiber_frame_time_fraction setting currently?

Guest The Wizard of Oz

Locked at 25 then reduced to 21. Fiber initially at 1.2 then 2.0. Bandwidth 400. These changes all helped quite a bit but flying around Mauna Loa (see screenshots) in a C47 (120 kts) by the time I got near the summit I had to do a scenery library ->OK routine wait a few minutes to get sharpness. I suspect that it will not be until those textures are compressed in BGL's will this problem maybe go away. Hence my question to MatthewS.Re WOZ

Guest The Wizard of Oz

Christian,The problem is as I described in the main forum with using the FS9 (and FS versions before that) style of texture loading. If you do very little panning or changing views things can be OK with RTM. I see textures changing on the fly and updating with the settings. But if you do change frequently from spot to internal then you can get into trouble. Or just wait long enough on route and things can get soupy depending on speed of course.I can get an absolute clear view on 3840 x 1024 res in the vertical with RTM (unlike SP1) but if I switch to a spot view on occasions things look out of focus (OOF). Switching back to vertical, clear as a bell. Back to internal view OOF. The "OOF" syndrome. If TP is to be made into a serious (and I say this without trying to sound flippant) program instead of a fabulous novelty and innovation then it should work at 50kts as well as 300 kts.But don't get me wrong I love TP and find it hard to look at default scenery in quite the same way now or at all, unless I'm concentrating on IFR rules or flying at 30,000 feet.Best regards WOZWOZ

Guest cbuchner1

> If TP is to be made into a serious (and I say this without trying to > sound flippant) program instead of a fabulous novelty and innovation > then it should work at 50kts as well as 300 kts.The "FS9 code path" that I use is not efficient enough to do high speeds.To achieve this, Microsoft would have to open their terrain loader to third parties (publish an API). In my opinion the terrain loader must be opened to support online data sources for EVERYTHING. Landclass, textures, objects, buildings, roads, autogen, traffic... Maybe they will offer some support for satellite terrain in FS 11 - who knows. Wait 2 years and see ;) In the mean time don't forget to bomb the tell-fs Mailing address with feature requests for sat terrain.Christian

Guest rbrown3rd

>>> If TP is to be made into a serious (and I say this without>trying to >> sound flippant) program instead of a fabulous novelty and>innovation >> then it should work at 50kts as well as 300 kts.>>The "FS9 code path" that I use is not efficient enough to do>high speeds.>>To achieve this, Microsoft would have to open their terrain>loader to third parties (publish an API). In my opinion the>terrain loader must be opened to support online data sources>for EVERYTHING. Landclass, textures, objects, buildings,>roads, autogen, traffic... >>Maybe they will offer some support for satellite terrain in FS>11 - who knows. Wait 2 years and see ;) In the mean time>don't forget to bomb the tell-fs Mailing address with feature>requests for sat terrain.>>Christian>tell-fs@microsoft.com ?

Guest cbuchner1

> tell-fs@microsoft.com ?Yeah just tell them you want them to hire me. Just kidding. But dynamic sat terrain im FS 11 all over would be nice. But first they would have to play catch-up in image quality vs. Y! and G in some places.Christian