Sign in to follow this  
N330DG

Backup of cached data?

Hi there,What do I need to copy to make a backup of all the data that TP has already cached on my HD? I guess the "world" directory. Anything else?And is this data compatible with further releases of TP (currently using v3). Anything to consider when upgrading, if I don't want to loose any data?Thanks,Gottfried

Hi Gottfried,"What do I need to copy to make a backup of all the data that TP has already cached on my HD?"My experience suggests all you need to backup are the 'Texture' folders for all the areas you have flown so far. In my case, just 2 area folders are involved - 0202 and 0501. During my experiments I have often renamed the selected 'TEXTURE' folder to allow the rebuild of bitmaps in a freshly created 'TEXTURE' folder. Seems to work fine.To avoid the tedium of identifying the cached area folders, try this nifty utility: TreeSizehttp://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtmlI took the plunge and purchased the Pro version but I believe the Free version will do all you need it to do. Works a treat!As to compatibility with future versions of TP, again my experience suggests you should be okay for the moment. I preserved all my cached bitmaps for the above 2 folders and had no problems when upgrading from Beta 4 ---> 5.Mike

Guest The Wizard of Oz

TreeSize still takes a long time to find the size. I just hover the mouse pointer over the folder and it will come up with the size almost immediately. Not sure whether you have to set some options to do this.

I just right-click on the 'TileProxy Photoreal World' folder and select 'TreeSize Personal 4'. Within a few seconds all the info is there and displayed very nicely.As I said, I am using the 'Pro' version; actually the lower priced Personal Edition of TreeSize, which has the same features as the Professional Edition.Mike