Sign in to follow this  
Guest mz-cd

I Tried Going

Guest mz-cd

back.I was having some issues with TP5 trying to get everything working as best as possible. I have read that running FSX and TP WITHOUT SP1 works for some people so I decided to uninstall everything and reinstall without Service Pack 1. Well what a nightmare. It took me hours to get everything uninstalled and reinstalled.And was it worth it? well no. Certainly not for me.So it was back to FSX with SP1. It was I decided it would be best to do a complete clean install of FSX and SP1 and then load TP5 and all was well.I am somewhat disappointed with the overall clarity of the scenery with only my local area [south Wales and the South East of England]showing any signs "reality". However I am not blaming TP, it must be down to my hardware.I am still getting a lot of "giving up" and "timeout messages" when I load TP but it continues and finally after about 40mins.completes. I am however still only getting maybe a few tiles per second being accessed when flying.I have noticed that after loading and flying if I increase my autogen or indeed any other setting TP will start loading again and I get a big increase in tiles being accessd,is this right?Only VE seems to work to any degree and then I still get the error messages. I am surprised that VE "times out" as I would have thought that microsoft would have seen that this [TP] was a good way of increasing the "value" of what I see as an ill conceived sim [FSX]I am sure that if I could find some way to overcome the long load times and increase the tile accessing when flying then all would be well.When TP hooks up with FSX it is fine but I am sure I could be getting better at more locations.Here is a thought for this forum.A lot of issues are discussed in this forum but they get very fragmented and it is difficult to keep track of them all. Is there some way in which the various "subjects" could be identified and be separated.I also think that some of my problems are caused by the fact that I do not understand the technical details OR a lot of the jargon that is used therefore I am probably not doing something correctlyOR doing something I should not be. But how do I know?How do I know what it is I DON'T know.I have every faith in TP and I am sure it is the way forward and look forward to seeing future developements.I will add here that in NO way am I critising TP or if I am it is "constuctive"RegardsRS

Guest cbuchner1

Timeouts are usually caused by your "intertubes being clogged", or in other words your internet line may be somewhat too slow.For reducing the timeouts, you can alter the module_config to use settings like thisconn=10|rate=1.0or evenconn=5|rate=0.5The first example allows 10 simultaneous requests and assumes a 1 MBit/s link and the second example uses 5 simultaneous requests and adjusts the timeouts for a 0.5 MBit/s internet link.I am well aware that Tileproxy is not user friendly in the current state and configuration is somewhat difficult for novice users. It needs a GUI for configuration and the installer should allow for different configuration presets (like for example for the Internet connection speed)

Guest mz-cd

Good Morning,Yes I have tried the conn and rate in various combinations to no avail. I have not yet tried 5 and 0.5 so will do so and see what happens.My long load times seem to take place at 35% of load [this has been discussed elsewhare] to about 40% before and after takes only seconds, any thoughts on this?As an aside I am only to willing to be used as a guinea pig to test user friendly additions to TP. As I have said I am sure this is the way to go am it will have my support.

Guest cbuchner1

The percentage during load is a really bad approximation ;) FSX just does not factor in that some steps may take longer than others. It just goes through its list of remaining jobs and ticks them off one by one.That the texture loading job may take 10 minutes is simply not accounted for in this percentage.

Guest Challenger604

Is it possible to just disable the folders that you don't want to use therefore cutting down the load time. I know that was discussed but I don't remember the final verdict

Guest mz-cd

I have tried various combinations of Conn and Rate to see what differance there was.I does vary from provider to provider for exampleLocation - Cliff Dwellers Lodge Marble Canyon All 3 at 5 and 0.5 was no good, but at 5 and 2 only took 12mins to load, with VE being the better visual quality.Location Challiwack in BCYH at 5 and 0.5 only took 4mins to load but poor visuals.VE took 12mins and again poor visuals.GE would not connect.All the above [and more] done with virus scan [bitDefender disabled]off.I had no "give ups" or Time outs with the above.However tile accessing when flying is still very low.I have come to the conclusion that the best combinations are 5 and 0.5and 10 and 1.It seems that my internet connection speed is not as good as my ISP would have me believe.I have also noticed that my CPU [Athlon 64 32 + overclocked to run at 2200] is working flat out most of the time,so could that be a bottle neck.?I am thinking of getting a Athlon dual core 4800 [which is compatible with my motherboard] would this help?Can you tell me if there is any relationship between conn and rate speeds that affect the number of tiles loaded? I have seen figures of 525000 individual tiles loaded and as low as 200000 with little or no differance in quality.?When TP is loading I watch the HIT and MISS figures, but what figure is good or bad. For example are 344560 hits good together with 38000 misses.With a total of 189685 individual tiles loaded?One more thing that I have noticed is that only YH is creating a cache and not VE or GE is this right?? or what.Not too technical please.RegardsRichard

Guest cbuchner1

All three services should have caches. Look at the cache_folder statements in your INI file. Maybe one of the three services uses a different cache location than the others. Like for example inside the parent's parent folder like this:....cache.somethingForget about the HIT/MISS statemens, these are not related to network speed, they are more related to the efficiency between proxyUser and tileproxy.sys driver.The tiles per second reading during flight should definitely be higher. Maybe try my fsx.cfg I attach here as text attachment.Dual Core helps with Windows XP Professional (not home) or Windows Vista. The Windows XP Home version can only do single core I believe.The individual tiles loaded reading is cumulative since the start of proxyUser.exe - and the numbers will grow until you restart this application. It's more an informal reading showing you how much data (files) were shuffled around in total.

Guest mz-cd

Thank You,Can I ask some more questions.I hope I am not boring you with this? I am just trying to understand what is going on.I loaded at Bryce Canyon Utah this morning using YH with a conn of 5 and a rate of 0.5.It took about 20mins to load but was fine.Initially the tile access when flying was about 25 but then dropped.After about a minute of flying I decided to refresh the scenery. [i have set this to a keyboard function]However instead of refreshing TP loaded more tiles which took another 5mins. I did this again after another 30 seconds of flight and again TP loaded more tiles.The visuals however were so real it was well, unreal. Stunning.Is this loading instead of refreshing right?Also re my caches I have discovered that the VE cache is in the TP folder in the sim itself??Regards Richard

Guest cbuchner1

On a "Refresh Scenery" FSX RTM reloads all tiles once again. FSX SP1 will only those tiles for which it does not yet have the resolution it wants to have. Meaning: Refresh Scenery in FSX SP1 does not really refresh everything which is bad if you had intended to change your map provider.I just tried Bryce Canyon as well on a machine with FSX RTM and I was not too happy with it because some tiles would always stay blurred (even after using "Refresh Scenery" from the Tileproxy menu).Only going to Scenery Library and hitting "OK" would result in a crisply updated terrain.I think I can address some of the issues with permanently blurred tiles with FSX RTM in the Beta 6. I have some ideas in my head, but not yet in code.BTW I am getting several hundred tiles accessed per second during flight, this is likely because I am locking my frames per second to 15.Christian

Guest mz-cd

Both VE and GE caches insist on going to cprogramme filesMicrosoft gamesFSXtileproxyYh goes to cprogramme filesmicrosoft gamesI have re loaded TP and I notice that the caches are differant.Service Provider1 is cache_folder=cache.service1Service Provider2 cache_folder=cache.service2BUT Service Provider3 IS cache_folder=....cache.service3Sorry to go on about this but does it matter where the cache folders are?I tried the scenery library and clicking OK and after rebuilding TP went straight into loading??

Guest cbuchner1

Having the cache folders inside the Flight Simulator X folder (e.g. inside Tileproxy) slows down FSX when you launch it. Depending on how many files are inside your cache, it can take an extraminute or two just to show the game dialog.So if you can move all these folders into Microsoft Games and adjust the cache_folder locations inside the INI file to include the .... Christian

Hi Christian,"Dual Core helps with Windows XP Professional (not home) or Windows Vista. The Windows XP Home version can only do single core I believe."Can you qualify that statement? As a long time XP Home user with an AMD Athlon 64X2 4800+ I can assure you that dual core is utilized just fine: http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/174146.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/174147.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/174148.jpg(Forgot to switch on AA and AF)Perhaps you meant something else?Regards,Mike

Guest mz-cd

Hi Christian, the job is done.Have left all 3 named as service provider,have made all 3 .... and all 3 are now in the correct place.Thanks.I know you said to forget about the hits and misses etc, but as a matter of interest when I was at Bryce Canyon this morning [YH on 5 and 0.5] after the 4th attempt at refreshing the scenery the number of hits went 1.1 MILLION? is that of any use to you?[misses 100 000]RegardsRichard

Guest cbuchner1

Okay I meant Dual CPU.I have 2 x Athlon MP processors and I absolutely had to buy XP Professional to make this work.

Guest cbuchner1

The manual of the Beta 5 has about one page of text on the statistical output. I feel too tired to repeat this now in the forum ;)