Sign in to follow this  
Guest Marc_EDDN

Tileproxy Beta5 does not load any tiles

Guest Marc_EDDN

Hello everyone,I have used tileproxy before and uninstalled it because changing from tileproxy to normal scenery (with several addons) was a little mess, even with my batchfiles.With Beta5, I wanted to try again, but up to now to no avail. First, I thought about some FSX addons maybe interfering (MyTrafficX, UltimateTerrainX), but I have a clean FS9 installation where it still does not work.What I see is always the default scenery, never the phototiles. I have started tileproxy before starting FS, I should have a workable tileproxy.ini (I had TP running before, and I updated my ini to reflect recent changes in Beta5).The problem seems to be that TP never even starts to load something. Attached is a screenshot of a tileproxy run with FS9. You can see that it never even tries to access the internet.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/174545.gifAny ideas anyone?Best regardsMarc

Hi Marc,I'm reletively new to TP (as we all are) but examining your screenshot gave me a few thoughts. Not sure if they'll help.I assume your server URL's (greyed out) are correct. Everything looks fine in your load screen to me, with 2 minor exceptions, neither of which I would think should stop TP cold, as seems to be happening. But... You say you have a fresh install of FS9. Since I see you are using "D:/" drive to cache your textures, my thought was: Did you install FS9 on Drive "D:/" as well? If so...and I'm just guessing here...my initial thought concerning your problem is that since we know the TP load window says "Connected to Flight Simulator 2004!", we therefore can assume TP can see IT...but the way I understand the how TP works is that FS9 must then in turn send a request BACK to TP in order for TP to proceed to request the appropriate tiles from the server to begin to download. Perhaps FS9 cannot return this request accross the drive space to drive "C:/" for some reason. If so it might stop TP cold, as it would be waiting for "requests" for textures that never comes...The two other minor items I noticed is that you have set your "rate=" setting at "6.0" That's pretty high. Did you recently change that? Does it work with FSX? The default is "2.0". for a reason: The higher this number is the faster the texture server ASSUMES your ACTUAL speed is, and will thus adjust the amount of time you're allotted for downloading a requested packet DOWNWARD drastically until it "times out" on you within a few seconds or less, not allowing sufficient time for a complete download of the requested group of tiles. (I set mine at "6.0" just to test it and could only rarely get a complete set of requested tiles without a time out.) So, unless you REALLY do have a FAST connection I would set it back to the default or at least reduce it a bit and try again.Lastly, if the texture cache being on drive "D:/" works with FSX I assume that's not the problem unless for some reason FS9's being there too (if indeed it is) excacerbates the problem for some reason.Mostly guesswork on my part...but maybe it will trigger an idea or two on your end. Christian may know better right off seeing your post. Good luck and let us know how you fare.

"We shall not cease from exploration...

and the end of all our exploring...

will be to arrive where we started...

and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Guest cbuchner1

Installing TP on a drive different from the flight simulator causes some issues.As you can see from the screenshot, TP is "watching" only drive C:Your load.bat script needs to be edited to use drive D:The line containing the SET DRIVE=...must be modified toSET DRIVE=D:Furthermore the scenery.cfg of your Flight Simulator 9 installation probably has to be tweaked to use D:Tileproxy Photoreal World instead of ....Tileproxy Photoreal World (absolute paths, not relative).The installer is not yet smart enough to handle the "user wants to use a different drive" case.Christian

Guest Marc_EDDN

Thanks for your answers, I figured this out after I got Truthan's message pointing to drive/path issues...In my case it is even trickier I think, because my FSX is in a folder that is addressed as C: but resides on a different physical disk as the rest of c:.Anyway, I managed to get FS9 to work now after an explicit reinstall of TP to D: and using absolute paths in scenery.cfg of FS9. Now I'll try to get the same results in FSX, of course. I realized that it is not clear from my original post, but my main interest is FSX.Thanks again for your help!

Guest Marc_EDDN

FSX works! Basically it is the same as with FS9.Short instructions for people with similar problems:- Take care that you install TP on a physical device with a drive letter- If your FSX resides on a "strange" partition (e.g. the directory is on another physical disk / partition), do not use the FSX folder to install TP, but use a folder on a partition that has a drive letter- Then manually edit the scenery.cfg (in the "..all users...FSX" directory) to have absolute instead of relative pathnamesThis worked for me, your mileage may vary.Oh, and Christian if you still follow this thread, I think that the Hebrides (especially Barra) are part of the "small islands" that have been left out of your definitions... maybe you can fix this in Beta6?http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/174550.jpg

Guest ha5mvo

Sorry for hijacking the thread (issue had been solved anyway :) ), but is there a way to make TP "fall back" to default scenery instead of the low-res tiles in case hi-res textures are not available?

Yup. Just boot FS WITHOUT booting TP. TP's world scenery BGL's only call on the phototiles when it's activated. Simple huh? (You must be using Beta 5 version for this to work.)An excerpt from the Beta 5 Manual: "I made Tileproxy inactive by default. When TileProxy is not running, Flight Simulator will see "transparent" BGL landclass definitions in the scenery folder. These define a landclass that causes the default scenery to appear. Only when TileProxy runs Flight Simulator X will see the photoscenery landclass. To fly on default terrain, simply don't start TileProxy! No deactivation of the WORLD photoscenery folders is needed anymore to fall back to default scenery."I highly recommend users read the manual...most everything you'll ever need to know is there and much more. Christian is refreshingly thorough.

- T. S. Eliot

Guest ha5mvo

>Yup. Just boot FS WITHOUT booting TP. TP's world scenery>BGL's only call on the phototiles when it's activated. Simple>huh? (You must be using Beta 5 version for this to work.)>>An excerpt from the Beta 5 Manual: >>"I made Tileproxy inactive by default. When TileProxy is not>running, Flight Simulator will see "transparent" BGL landclass>definitions in the scenery folder. These define a landclass>that causes the default scenery to appear. Only when TileProxy>runs Flight Simulator X will see the photoscenery landclass.>To fly on default terrain, simply don't start TileProxy! No>deactivation of the WORLD photoscenery folders is needed>anymore to fall back to default scenery.">>I highly recommend users read the manual...most everything>you'll ever need to know is there and much more. Christian is>refreshingly thorough.>Sorry for not being clear enough (or I just didn't understand the answer properly..).I don't want to have EITHER TP or FS textures, I want to be able to get BOTH. i.e when a hi-res sat photo is available I want the sim to display it, when the sim moves out of the sat. photo zone (LOD level

Hmmm. I don't think that's yet possible with TP. All 3 services TP can use have global coverage AT SOME RESOLUTION...which they will load up to the highest level, either available or specified, in the ProxyUser.ini. To have what you're looking for would require you to create a "Photo Scenery" of the "hi-res" areas you're interested in and activate them as standard "Photo Scenery" layered OVER the default textures...which would not require TP at all. This can be easily done...but aquiring the raw images and doing the work is beyond the scope of this thread.In a future release of TP I can imagine Christian adding a function which allows TP to "Make Transparent" any scenery below a certain LOD level, but for now I do not believe TP can do it. It's either "on or "off".

- T. S. Eliot

Guest cbuchner1

Creating BGL files describing phototerrain coverage requires the SDK tools. These run a bit slowly. So updating these BGL files "on the fly" (literally) is near impossible.If someone dropped me a bit of C/C++ code how to create landclass BGLs (compression would be optional - i.e. not required) ... I would do it.Then also there is a problem with FSX not recognizing that a BGL has changed. It requires a full rescan of the scenery library and a reload of all terrain. So replacing coverage during flight is also near impossible.Give me the source code of FSX and I'll do it. ,-)Christian