Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbuchner1

Tileproxy memory cache limits

Guest cbuchner1

For those on a tight budget of memory. I've just added a memory cache restriction to TP. You can specify for example that you never want more than 40000 tiles cached in RAM or never more than 50 MB of graphics data in memory. If the limits are exceeded, TP starts flushig out older data into nirvana. Works nicely on my 512 MB test machine (Pentium 3) running FSX RTM. Before this feature it started swapping after some 30 minutes of flight. No longer. ;)Next steps - time permitting - would be a similar strategy for tile data on disk. The limits would be configurable of course. So you could make sure that the (poorly compressed) World folder never grows above 1 Gig and TP could keeps most of the data in the cache folders instead. And I also intend to add an age limit, such that ToS restrictions like e.g. a 30 day storage limit could be enforced. Everything configurable, of course.

Hi Christian,Will this work the other way as well? If you have more vram and/or more sys ram would having more tiles in memory improve performance?

Guest Challenger604

Also then will I see faster FPS?I must say that TP has added about 10FPS to my flight experience. I guess that's cuz no autogen? Would it ever be possible to just use trees for autogen? I have 1 Gig of RAM right now

"Works nicely on my 512 MB test machine (Pentium 3) running FSX .."Is that right?? I have a P4-2.6, 512 MB RAM, 64 MB GEForce 440MX and FSX will not boot up. Could this be .net Framework 2.0 issue? I have 2.0 installed now, so would FSX demo work now?

Guest Challenger604

Hey I saw some shots in the screenshot thread showing autogen trees. Is this possible with TP? I mean how do I do it since it must be possible since I saw it.Thanks

Guest cbuchner1

You need the SDK tools (FSX SDK from the Professional Edition) and a lot of patience, since you have to place autogen tile by tile. A tutorial was posted about it in this forum.