Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbuchner1

Download size of 155 MB for TileProxy Beta 6 ?

Guest cbuchner1

If I ship world wide water masks (as compressed bitmaps) with Tileproxy 6, the download size would skyrocket to 155 MB. This is with bzip2 compressed bitmaps.Would you guys tolerate such big download sizes? Remember, this is NASA SRTM V2 water mask data at 30 meter/pixel resolution WORLDWIDE. Every lake, mudpit and puddle larger than 30 meter gets resolved ;-)I might even get this size down a bit further by using advanced bi-level image compression algorithms (JBIG, JBIG2) with arithmetic coding.

How big would it be installed, that's the question.I have no problem with downloading files of that size, but sometimes the installed files triple in size. At least many add-on airplanes are that way.

Guest cbuchner1

The bitmaps would remain bzipped and get decompressed only when loaded. One bitmap covers 1 degree of latitude and longitude, or about 108 km squared.

Guest Arry

Hello Christian,that would not be a big problem, because everybody, who uses tileproxy, has a more or less fast internet connexionFor me it is okHappy landingsArry

Guest Arlei

Don't worry about the size.Like said above, the users who have TP installed on their machines have broadband internet connection.Not a big deal, go ahead :)

No problem with me either. I can't imagine anyone already using TP would have the slightest problem with the file size (heck, TP downloads much more than 155MB of tiles when booting up...).Perhaps "new users" though, would be more inclined to try the program if they had the option of downloading a TP6 vesion (or TP5 if that's a problem) without the water mask data to evaluate the program at first maybe?.In any case, to have the numerous large areas of inconsistent aerial photo "reflectiveness" and often "scene spoiling" water colors smoothed into FS water,with it's reflectiveness and water landing capabilities is tantalizing... (Gee, I'd even DL a gigabyte of water mask data if it could be even higher resolution than 30 meter/pixel resolution so the shorlines would be even more crisp and clean!)

"We shall not cease from exploration...

and the end of all our exploring...

will be to arrive where we started...

and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

First let me tell you that I'm very impressed by your program! It works great on my system, except of things getting blurred when flying a fast plane.That filesize is fine with me. As long as the download speed offered by the host is fast enough.I have a question though regarding the water mask data. I like the shallow reef structures around islands very much, will they be excluded?many thanks for your efforts!:-beerchugbest regards,C.G.

Guest Pilot533

Absolutely, water masks are worth it.

Guest Challenger604

How fast is the DL speed. That is the only issue I have seen.Anyway I agree the question is how much disk space will it take up after installation not DL file size.

Guest dongdongliushui

Give me 1 gb of download and I will be even more happier. :)

Guest cbuchner1

I got the data down to 55 MB using JBIG compression...Amazing how etting the right compression tool for the job makes such a difference.

I wouldn't think anyone running TP would object even if it was 500MB of download. Even for a small area, TP generates a PhotoRealWorld folder of 3+ GB :)Will TP6 be compatible with FS9? That is the important question for me.Thank you, Christian for continuing to develop this wonderful program.

Guest rbrown3rd

No problem. Most of us have a fast connection and large drives.