Sign in to follow this  
Splash_One

"Forced max_lod=13" and slow load

Hey Folks,After a few hours yesterday of gazing (and drooling) over TileProxy, I decided to load up my dusty FS9 and give it a whirl. It loaded slowly, as I have read, so I expected that.I took off and it was beautiful-- but only for the immediate surrounding area. I thought maybe switching to a different server would help but alas they all were the same. I browsed and searched the forum but failed to find any results.I carefully watched the TP window as I loaded it up before and saw that it said "Forced max_lod=13". I looked in the manual and didn't find anything. In the ProxyUser file, I have it set for 14, and originally 15. Downgrading it to 14 didn't change the load rate.Also, during the loading process, they highest have seen it was at 23.7 per second, and a one time spike to 200 per second. In the game, it averages around 15 per second.I've killed my antivirus and firewall as well as all other running programs, and now I'm out of ideas. Any insight on this? I'd love to fly around in an area bigger than the immediate airport surroundings=]Thanks in advance,Jason

Guest squarejawhero

Are you finding that after takeoff, even in a slow plane or helicopter, that is only seems to load the first set of tiles and doesn't appear to update as you fly over the scenery? It blurs the further out you get from the start point but looks delicious when you first take off.Because that's the problem that's been plaguing me. I'd love to know the cause of it. My loading process is 300-500, so I doubt that it's the cause. I'd love to fix it or help to.edit - I'm on FSX so it isn't limited to FS9

After takeoff, the immediate area is fully loaded, and the further out I go, the blurrier it gets.If I go a few minutes out, it is completely a mess. I need to pause the game for 5-10 minutes for it to get crisp in the new area that I'm in.So it does update, albeit very, very slowly.

Guest spiffyscimitar

guys, that's what I was experiencing post SP1. If you go uninstall SP1 you ought to get much, much better loading of tiles (for slow planes still)

>guys, that's what I was experiencing post SP1. If you go>uninstall SP1 you ought to get much, much better loading of>tiles (for slow planes still)Are you talking about FS9 or FSX?

Guest squarejawhero

FSX.Made no difference for me, tiles don't even update on either version, SP1 or without... thanks, though.

Oh alrighty, I'm in FS9.I wonder if cbuchner1 has missed this thread? He is active on the board posting other replies...

Guest cbuchner1

Hmm, not missed - but I think the FS9 loading performance has been covered a lot in the Tileproxy manual and in someone's else's thread that specifically provided a lot of FS9 tweaks and tips.In FS9 it's all about getting the FPS up. The more FPS the faster it loads terrain. Even if that means disabling a few graphics goodies (and absolutely UNLOCK your frame rate).

Guest nyflyer

Hey Splash One,It's been a while since I've seen you! How are things?? Do you remember me?? NewYorkFlyer??Anyways I don't have much to add to this thread, but good to see that you're still alive.Moses

Just a thought - does FSX progressively blur when flying a fast plane, or running the sim at 4x? If you have a blurring issue with fast planes in FSX then that has to fixed/tweaked first. TileProxy, in my humble opinion (aka IMHO) is like operating FSX with a fast plane - not a Cessna. The many small BGLs must each be processed and that creates an environment similar to a fast plane traversing the indigenous FSX textures. I struggled with getting FSX to work well even with a slow Cessna. One of my issues was slow memory which was ok in FS9. I changed to 1gb DDR400 and that made a large difference. However, TileProxy continued to be a challenge/problem. So I upgraded to an e4400 Core2Duo over clocked to 2.5ghz. That finally allowed TileProxy to run on the #1 core which was not heavily used by FSX. Tileproxy max's out that core BUT it works very well. Flying at 80 to 100 knots gives me only an occasional blurred spot. I have no tweaks since many of them are placebos or only specific to certain hardware elements.If FSX alone has issues TileProxy only makes them worse. Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yokePS: Google has super-blacklisted me. TileProxy can only get a few tiles after a week on other sites. I was already on "thin ice" since I had used Google to gather photo-scenery using an entirely different process. Unfortunately, requesting a new IP address with my Netgear router from Comcast just gives me the same address. Sounds like a Google lawyer got to them.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest cbuchner1

> PS: Google has super-blacklisted me. TileProxy can only get a few > tiles after a week on other sites. Google have all the right to protect their systems from excessive/abusive traffic.They also do this with their search engine, mostly protecting themselves from automated queries - usually worms and viruses searching for more targets to attack. It's actually the same mechanism they use for the search engine and for the map server.Christian