Sign in to follow this  
Guest dongdongliushui

Is it remotely possible to stream the 3d buildings?

Guest dongdongliushui

Recently I walked into Boston on virutal earth. The 3d buildings are almost all there, and they look incredible. It gave me a great sense of nostalgia and I almost shed my tears. Yes I lived in the real city for 1 year and I walked every street.I never turn on autogen, cause it looks so false and artificial. Now if it's possible to see those buildings with tileproxy, and fly over them!I know it is very difficult. But tell me: is it slightly possible?

Guest cbuchner1

At this point I would say "no". If I had access to the FSX source code, I would say "give me 6 months" ;)It may be possible to download scenery add-ons based on the current geographic location of your aircraft, but FSX lacks the interface to add this to the scenery library at run time. So a restart of FSX would be required to get the additional objects.For phototerrain I found a way around this restriction, but it comes with a penalty: poor performance.It would be an utterly cool feature to be within a dynamically updated, "living" world that streams live from the Internet. Think about the possibilities for an active online community that adds new scenery objects which instantaneously would be accessible to everyone else. The fact that people have immediate access and provide feedback would motivate a lot of people to contribute to this world. Of course this would need some kind of moderation system to keep questionable and poor quality content out.Christian

Perhaps Train SimulatorX could make arrangements with their sister organization Live Search to utilize the data and processes for 3D street level viewing. Imagine pulling into a city on your virtual train with real 3D pictures at ground level. Then after a train journey you could grab a cab and see the sites. Of course you want this to happen on your I-Pod with virtual 3D glasses plugged in. Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA