Sign in to follow this  
Guest AndyWebber

Any way to "keep files" for future offline flights?

Guest AndyWebber

Hello,I wonder if there's a way to keep downloaded files in our HD so we can fly with the photoreal ground when offline or even online, but without the need to retrieve new data. This would be great for people who have bandwidth limitation on their internet like me and fly mainly over the same area .All the best,Andy

Guest cbuchner1

erm... I've been doing this for the past 3 months. It's called "offline mode" ;) But you'll have to keep Tileproxy running during flight (this works since Beta 5)

Guest AndyWebber

Silly me :-) Great stuff. Thanks a bunch for this utility.

Guest leglegle

Where do we select the "offline mode"? I live in California, and I fly over the same areas over and over. But, it seems like it is still downloading new files all of the time. I am using the FS9 version. I figured once I downloaded them once, the load time for FS9, would be significantly reduced. But, it still takes time to download, almost 5-8 minutes over a massively fast 10MB cable modem. BTW, THIS IS FANTASTIC. EVEN IN FS9, with slightly lower resolution, THIS MAKES THE SIM A WHOLE NEW WORLD! I am a commercial-instrument rated pilot in RW, and I frequently use FS9 to fly to an airport before I go there, so that I can see the approach, and get a sense for terrain, etc. Tileproxy makes this so much better!! Hopefully Microsoft pays you something if they use your idea.

Guest Arry

In the tileproxy.ini you have to change it:--> offline_mode=yes# Offline Mode - No network access will occur (Yes/True/On to enable)offline_mode=NoArry

Guest leglegle

The funny thing is though, I changed it to Off, and I tried False, and No, but the initial loading was still slow, and tileproxy was still adding files while I was flying???? Very strange. But, stil love the result. Any ideas? CB

Guest cbuchner1

offline_mode = On would do the trick for you ?By using off, false, no, etc.. you were switching the offline browsing feature more off than it already was ;-)

Guest leglegle

Hah! :))) How right you are. I will see if that works.

Guest karstele

Firstly - greetings to all . . .At the moment I am working through the forum and the Tileproxy readme to better understand how this works best.Do I understand you correct, that if I put an additional huge harddisk, like 1 terrabite, into my PC, creating the cache folder in it, I then can fly over an area for some time and later revisit it - flying offline with Tileproxy running in offline mode ?? Without having to download the textures again . . .Is there a limit how much data Tileproxy can store in the cache folder? Thank you Christian for this awesome program . . .Greetings from KarlsruheKarsten

Guest flyalot

(deleted - was thinking this is a new question for some reason)

Guest cbuchner1

Yes right now the caches can grow to unlimited size.I do recommend (for performance reasons) that the Photorealistic World folder gets flushed every few weeks, otherwise it might collect such a large number of files that the file system overhead gets too large.The service caches containing JPEG files can also grow tremendously large, but I am distributing the files across 1000 folders. There is also a tool provided with which you can selectively erase geographic regions from that folder by using drag & drop. The "Service Cache Browser".

Guest cbuchner1

It's called offline mode.Tileproxy will then use whatever is cached to generate the tiles for FSX - or even use existing tiles if they satisfy the resolution requirements for FSX.Things may look very blocky when you leave your previously flown service area.

Guest karstele

Thank you for your answer!Very encouraging - I realized that I can get a RAID with 2Tb for less money than a good graphiscard . . . that should enable me to cover quite a considerable area in perfect detail?I tried to download your "Service Cache Browser" mentioned in the other post, but only got a "link no longer existing".Is there another download link available? GreetingsKarsten

Guest cbuchner1

part of Tileproxy Beta 7. It's already in your start menu, I think