Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bigshot

Flightsim settings AA and AF

Tried searching in the forum but could not find the exact answer. Is it best to run AA and AF from the card and have it turned off in FS ( assuming that Mipmap is for AF)or should these settings be turned on in flightsim . What is the difference between having it set like this or setting the card to program application preference. Have just installed a ATI Radeon 9000 and am spending a lot of time monkeying around with the settings. Thanks Chris

I5 13600KF 5.1GHz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 12G| | MSI Z690 Tomahawk DDR4 WiFi MB | M.2 NVMe SSD"s 2X1TB/2X2TB / HDD's 3X4TB and 1X8TB | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 64 Pro 

Guest Jimbofly

Hello Chris,I think its a personal matter, although you do have better control of the level of AA and AF when setting it directly from the driver console.I set everything from the driver console, which makes it much easier to keep track of all of your graphics settings. I think if you set AA on FS2002 aswell as on the driver console the driver console setting will override the FS2002 setting.James

Guest Bigshot

With the 9700 Pro, I set the AA and AF on the control panel. I also check all the boxes in the sim's settings. AA & T&L, etc. Looks a bit better on my system with the in game boxes checked. Experiment!!

Thanks Guys, As BIGSHOT stated it looks better with the settings set on the card and also enabled in FS. Just a matter of finding what my eyes like best i guess. One other question, I have two Radeon cards showing up in the device manager. One is a secondary card,should this be disabled or do you leave both running.Chris

I5 13600KF 5.1GHz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 12G| | MSI Z690 Tomahawk DDR4 WiFi MB | M.2 NVMe SSD"s 2X1TB/2X2TB / HDD's 3X4TB and 1X8TB | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 64 Pro 

I do the same as Bigshot. Gives the best results.About the 2nd Radeon card.Me too (9700 card).I also see it in the FS2K2 Option-Settings-Display menu.Just occured to me that this is for the 2nd monitor you can connect to the card. Right ?Rob

Rob,Yes...I believe you're right on that since this card has TV Out.I, too have the Radeon 9700. I know it's individual preference, but what are some of you simmers setting the AF and AA to? I'd like to know what EXACT settings work best for you and how it affects performance. Thanks, Stan

Guest Bigshot

I max everything in settings except mesh at 90%. Visibility whereever you want it and AI on default with clouds at 60%. All boxes checked. I use Paul's extended terrain settings. Just double the first and second of the last three lines in FS2002 cfg file Terrain Section with last line setting at 3.0. Run 16x12x32 with card menu set as follows: (Note: that's performance AF)http://www.x-plane.org/users/mgdbottled/Settings1.jpg