Sign in to follow this  
Guest etheberge

Good news for TileProxy fans

Guest etheberge

New satellite to sharpen Google EarthFri Sep 14, 2007 2:58pm ET148By Andrea Shalal-EsaWASHINGTON (Reuters) - DigitalGlobe, provider of imagery for Google Inc's interactive mapping program Google Earth, said a new high-resolution satellite will boost the accuracy of its satellite images and flesh out its archive.The new spacecraft, dubbed WorldView I, is to be launched on Tuesday.Together with the company's existing Quickbird satellite, it will offer half-meter resolution and will be able to collect over 600,000 square kilometers of imagery each day, up from the current collection of that amount each week, Chief Executive Jill Smith told Reuters in a telephone interview. "http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyid=2007-09-14T185832Z_01_N14459336_RTRUKOC_0_US-DIGITALGLOBE-SATELLITE.xml"I'm hoping it will improve high res coverage of many areas in the short to mid term. More details in the article.-Erik T.

>That is great news.Yes of course, but not all countries are allowing to publish high definition pictures of their territory :-(Hugo

Guest cbuchner1

I've heard its a black & white satellite which can do 40cm / pixel.And images will most likely be bought by the US military first (being the biggest customer). But consider this rumors until confirmed.

Guest wyoming

in B&W for years and in some cases still do. Movies aren't any worse, often better. Sim-wise, I wouldn't mind an exact and crisp B&W landscape following my speed. I suppose that's because I don't see flightsiming as a game.As far as landscape, since we have TP, the only major problem left that I see is the representation of ground objects.