Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mike707

FSX SP2 Question for Christian

Guest Mike707

Below is an excerpt from Phil Taylor's blog regarding FSX Service Pack 2. One of the items that I noticed was the fourth item, Under FSX SP2-DX9, which I have included below.From Phil's BlogHere is a list of what is in SP2 from a

There's another bit of information in Phil's blog post that got even more of my attention. A couple of paragraphs above the list, in the part where he rants about backwards compatibility being a major hindrance to progress (to which I mostly agree, in general), he says:"And yes most add-ons should continue to work in the DX9 code path in Acceleration/SP2, as long as they don

Guest cbuchner1

As Phil Taylor has previously noted (on these forums), they have put me on the Beta program. Unfortunately I have not yet have any time to look into any FSX releases past SP1. Wedding and honeymoon kind of blocked the progress on Tileproxy ;-)

Guest cbuchner1

I can't imagine that with SP2 Microsoft would dare to drop the compatibility to FS9 style photoscenery addons so soon - this would immediately render for example the MegaScenery packages obsolete (unless you've bought one of the newer FSX-optimized 1 meter/pixel releases, like e.g. Hawaii or Phoenix).Anyway, I cannot really comment on SP2 or Acceleration because a) I haven't seen/tested these products yet and :( I am under NDA regarding unreleased beta products.Christian

Guest rbrown3rd

Congratulations Christian. You have your priorities in the right order. We can wait.

That's why it was so quiet here ;-) . You were very busy elsewhere. Congratulations, Christian. Keep your priorities in this order!Hugo

Guest Mike707

Congrats Christian, on your wedding. That is great news and I truly wish you have a happy life with your new wife.On the Tileproxy front, I am wondering if you have had a chance to look at SP2 and if you can make any comments. My understanding is people under the NDA can speak about SP2 and Acceleration now. Thanks.

Guest cbuchner1

Well I ordered the Acceleration Pack on amazon which means I will be getting it at about the same time as everyone else. Only then I can see if performance-wise anything has changed.I don't have a DX10 graphics card to test any DX10 features though. Not that it would matter for Tileproxy, but it would be nice to see most certainly.

Guest Mike707

Wouldn't the new DX10 feature that changes the amount of whitecaps on waves based on wind make a difference as in beta 6, water masking is included?By the way, I am sure if all of us Tileproxy fans knew you were getting married, someone could have set up a way to pitch in on a wedding gift for you and your new bride. That gift could be a DX10 video card, and I am sure it would be the only wedding gift that you would receive that was more for you than her. I remember when I got married, all of the gifts were basically for her.Unfortunately, I have no idea how to set something up like that, but if anyone did, I sure would contribute. You have a lot of people that you have very positively affected their flight sim experience, and for some of us, that means a lot.

Guest Dragonlick

Very nice Mike, and I totally agree!!Congrats Christian!!!RL

Guest rbrown3rd

Me too. That wedding gift sounds good to me too.

Guest Tashunca-Uitco

Excellent idea mike707 !;) I agree !Congratulations to Christian !michel from France .

Guest cbuchner1

Thanks, but hardware donations or gifts from the community aren't really needed ;-) I am planning to buy one of these new GeForce 8800 GT boards based on energy efficient 65nm technology (the G92 graphics chip), which is said to be available end of October or mid of November. The price will also be quite affordable I hope.Christian