Sign in to follow this  
Guest Martin

MS Realism Problems!!!! Non computer geek needs help

Good afternoon everyone.I'm a first officer for UPS flying B767 route between Portland Oregon and Hawaii. I practice my IFR procedures in ELITE 7.0 constantly.I have been using MS FS since it's inception. I would love to use it more than I do now. The problem I am having is that in order for MS FS2002 to fuction at a realisic level with the follow: Somewhat realistic weather, ATC, aircraft. I have the following:Many Aircraft: Dreamfleet 737, archer, etc.ATC: Radar ContactWeather: Active SkyThe problem I'm running into is that I do not have time to sit and spend many many hours to get the programs to work properly with MS FS2002 Proffessional. With MS FS 2004 in sight, I am very dimayed at the money I have put into MS FS2002 Pro, seeing that MS will correct ATC and weather problems in their next release. I am seriously thinking of spending $2-3,000 for a flight console setup.However, Again I don't have the time or patience to sit down and read the large manuals for Radar Contact, Active Sky, MUCH less the time to actually get them working seemlessly with FS2002. I can't get Active Sky or Radar contact to remotely work properly. I'm at complete dismay that I have spent a good part of $500 on ad-ons for FS 2002 and can't get a realisticly solid sim. As an active IFR pilot, I expect somewhat Realistic ATC procedures. I don't expect to make custom pop-up IFR clearances, or radar vectors from KSEA to KMIA. However, immediately after leaving the departure area on EVERY IFR flight, I get my IFR clearance dropped while I am in the clouds. Getting a reasonably functioning ATC and Weather are my top priorities. Without spending 4 hours reading each manual and then trouble shooting the software. I've just about had it with MS FS2002. I'd love to get it up and running without many hassles.Simply I need to get the following working EASILY:1) Radar Contact2) Active Sky with downloading3) Flight Planning software (IFR and VFR)If it is too much work to get these up and running easily, smoothly and quickly am I better off just waiting for FS 2004 this summer?Sincere Thanks,Chucky.

Make sure you don't have the option in FSUIPC for "Prevent External Option Control" or something like that, checked. If you do that, any program that does not run withing FS will not work. I remember checking it accidentally once, causing myself a 3-week frustration with FS and the addons.

Firewalls..routers and such will hamper your downloading for ActiveSky..but if you have no problems downloading files from the net, that is not the problem.ActiveSky comes with a FSUIPC ini file..just copy it to your modules folder as per the instructions and your flightsim and FSUIPC is all set up for ActiveSky weather. Read the manual - as a pilot you should be used to that>>>LOL.Radar Contact - dont know anything about that..but i do know about SB and Vatsim. Live ATC..no computer generated crap. RealWorld Controllers Online World Wide, real world procedures.Unfortunately if you dont have the time to set things up properly, then you should not expect to do anything but fly with default planes and default ATC. As all programs require some form of tweaking and setup. Post your ActiveSky problems in the ActiveSky forum here at Avsim, your questions will be answered in short order..Due believe Radar Contact has a forum here as well..from what i have heard that is a good program with excellent support as well.

I understand it will take some time. But, I don't think most people want to use the software if it requires a computer science degree to operate it.This is what I miss about FLY!, very few add ons

I understand your frustration..only too well.You should post in the respective Forums ie ActiveSky and RadarContact with your problems...Thats where the developers are handing out advice tips, problem solveing..you just might find an answer to your problem in somebodies previous post..As for the computer science degree..If i can install ActiveSky trust me ANYBODY can!!!!..my first computer Commodore64...first run..my second computer...P3 700mz...3 years ago!!!

I remember the Commador 64's!!!! My first real computer was an ATARI 800 with cartiges, then Amiga 500, then we spent a bundle and got a 386-33 mhz!!!! lolI will definitly hit up those forums, thank you for your time!! :)Wannnaaaaaaaaa PLAY???Chucky