Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbuchner1

Discuss bugs and problems with Beta 6

Guest cbuchner1

Ever tried letting FSX rebuild its fsx.cfg file from scratch? Rename your existing fsx.cfg file, then start FSX. Change the graphics settings to your preferred settings and try again. Any change in scenery update rate then?

Guest Dragonlick

Yes, actually, I did that yesterday, including a clean install of everything! haha. No difference. I also tried many other tricks as well, some suggested by Phil T. Once I am out of the area, TP is showing about 5-15 tiles/second and nothing further loads. It is the same without TP, something to do with FS9 scenery on single core machines (or just certain ones?). I would think that there would be others besides Will and myself having this problem. That is what perplexes me.Rob L.

Guest willpf

Hello Rob,I don't think we're the only ones. I've seen plenty of posts by others on this forum who've reverted to RTM for TileProxy, and I also saw plenty of frustrated users on one of the other forums. In one of his responses Phil Taylor said that they are aware of the issue but no other updates are planned. My guess is MS figures most serious flight simmers either have the hardware or will be getting the hardware to compensate for these problems, and the more casual simmers are probably just sticking with default scenery and not having these issues. A reasonable business decision.I think Christian has built his own machines. Seems to be a much cheaper route to hardware nirvana. Christian, if you know of any good educational and shopping resources for building your own computer could you share the info?Happy holidays to all.Thanks and regards,Will.

Guest cbuchner1

I knew I wanted a Quad CPU, so I picked the Q6600 from Intel. The cheapest and most upgrade-friendly motherboard was from Asrock and offers DDR-1 (and also DDR 2) RAM and AGP support. So I plugged in some spare AGP graphics card and RAM first.Just recently I exchanged the AGP graphics against some modern PCI Express unit (a 8800 GT) but initially I had some trouble getting this to run. Now it runs, but I am limited to 4 PCI Express lanes, so I may be losing about around 20-30% of the 3D performance, depending on game or application.Overall it was relatively cheap and fun to build. This system is certainly not a rocket due to the VIA Chipset and the slow DDR 1 memory. I could still go for a faster motherboard later, but I would possibly lose the Windows OEM license.I am going to use Windows XP Professional 64 bit on it. The trial is going to expire soon and I have already ordered the retail system builder version.Don't go for Vista. It hurts ;)Christian

Guest Dragonlick

Thanks Christian and Will...Yes, I very much agree with you both. I myself have been planning to stick with XP for now, albiet the 64 bit version, to avoid being yet another Vista casualty, at least until MS has that under control.Is it possible (as it was back in the Win98 days) to set up a new machine (say a quad system), then simply swap in my old C: drive and boot, and then upgrade to WIN XP Pro 64? It took me over a month to re-install all of my software the last time I did a format/re-install. I realize this may not be the right forum to discuss that, but I trust your advice. Or maybe you could point me somewhere I could learn more about that?Thanks! Rob L.

Guest cbuchner1

I am afraid, an upgrade from 32 bit Windows to 64 bit Windows is utterly impossible. One reason being that 32 bit apps are kept in a separate program files folder and registry branch even.

Guest ericmay

Hi Will, Does the second FSX have to be in a separate driveand partition, or can it be in a different directory of the C:drive.thanks,Eric

Guest willpf

Hello Eric,Sorry I haven't kept up with the board lately, what with the holidays and all. In answer to your question, yes it can be in a different directory, for example C:FSXCopy or whatever you decide to name it.Good luck,Will.