Sign in to follow this  

nVidia FX or ATI Raddeon 9800 Which one wins for FS 200

Hi all,I'm looking at getting a new video card for my P4 2.4gHz system. My current mother board is 4X AGP, thus I need to get a $150 ASUS 8X AGP mother board for the card.I'm looking at getting the nVidia FX or the ATI Raddeon 9800.FX = $330 ATI = $400The reviews for the nVidia FX have been very negative overall. I've read several magazine and website reviews that include PCWORLD, TOM'S hardware, Computer Gaming world, etc. The performance numbers have consistently show that nVidia FX BARELY squeeks out ATI 9700 PRO. And when it comes to anti-liasing, ATI 9700 PRO was significantly better than nVidia FX. ATI 9800 Seems to beet out nVidia FX CONSISTANTLY.The main difference in the cards are as follows:nVidia FX: DDR2 memmory 4 piplinesATI 9800: DDR memmory, 8 piplinesBoth cards are scheduled to be on store shelves very shortly. Can some smart video card people help me pick which one will work best for FS 2002 and FS 2004!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!Sincere Thanks,Chucky

Guest PaulL01

>Hi all, >>I'm looking at getting a new video card for my P4 2.4gHz >system. My current mother board is 4X AGP, thus I need to >get a $150 ASUS 8X AGP mother board for the card. >>I'm looking at getting the nVidia FX or the ATI Raddeon >9800. >>FX = $330 >ATI = $400 >>The reviews for the nVidia FX have been very negative >overall. I've read several magazine and website reviews that >include PCWORLD, TOM'S hardware, Computer Gaming world, etc. >The performance numbers have consistently show that nVidia >FX BARELY squeeks out ATI 9700 PRO. And when it comes to >anti-liasing, ATI 9700 PRO was significantly better than >nVidia FX. ATI 9800 Seems to beet out nVidia FX >CONSISTANTLY. >>The main difference in the cards are as follows: >>nVidia FX: DDR2 memmory 4 piplines >ATI 9800: DDR memmory, 8 piplines >>Both cards are scheduled to be on store shelves very >shortly. Can some smart video card people help me pick which >one will work best for FS 2002 and FS >2004!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! >>Sincere Thanks, >>Chucky Hope this helps you chuck,Stay clear of (NV30)GFFX-5800ultra or lower, its problem is more associated with its 128bit memory bus the new NV35 (GFFX-6000?) will have the same 256bit memory bus as the ATI cards but operate at a much higher core and memry clock and would be the card to wait for (IMHO) as it is rummored to hit shelves as soon as the 9800Pro does, (mid 2nd Qrtr 03) so if you can wait untill the dust settles there will be an advantage to that.But if you can't wait you wont go wrong with the 9700pro as long as your hardware (motherboard and power supply) supports it.

Paul,So, the current GFFX-5800ultra has memmory bus(128bit) problem that is causing the performance slump. So is there a 9800 AND a 9800 pro versions??So are you suggesting to wait for GFFX 6000 which will have the memorry bus problem fixed and up to (256bit)? I saw that 9800 will be out shortly, now is this different from the 9800 pro you are refering to?Thanks,Chucky

Guest Sabadin

There is another version of the 9800 with 256MB DDR-II and higher clock speeds set to be released around late april, might be what he was referring to.

I did some searching and found out the "unofficially" ATI will be releasing ATI 9800 pro, 256 mb DDR2 in late april. Will this cost more than $400? How much more?

NVidia FX is great card IF you don't use Anti-Aliasing or Ansio-Filtering.The 9800 Pro beats the 9700 Pro beats the 5600 FX Ultra when AA or AF turned up.I can tell you when you see MSFS with AA and AF turned on and cranked up 4X/6X AA or 8X/16X AF the eye-candy is AWESOME with very little dip in FPS, compared with a huge drop with the 5600 FX Ultra.Also, keep in mind that ATI has a big lead with stable and certified drivers for the 9700/9800. NVidia still has to get a handle on its 5600 FX Ultra drivers. I think its drivers for FX is still based on Ti 4600 - so they still have more work to do to catch up to ATI.2 cents.

Guest PaulL01

>NVidia FX is great card IF you don't use Anti-Aliasing or >Ansio-Filtering. >>The 9800 Pro beats the 9700 Pro beats the 5600 FX Ultra when >AA or AF turned up. >I can tell you when you see MSFS with AA and AF turned on >and cranked up 4X/6X AA or 8X/16X AF the eye-candy is >AWESOME with very little dip in FPS, compared with a huge >drop with the 5600 FX Ultra. Not quite.The fact is in >FS2k2< using High quality AA/AF settings the 9700Pro and GFFX are neck and neck, however unless you find a GFFX with as quiet a cooling solution as the 9700Pro and at a competitive price the choice is simple.Actually the choice is even simpler, wait for the dust to settle around the 9800P/NV35.

Reading some articles on the web regarding nv30, Nivida admits that with nv35 they are going to scrap the huge cooling system/noise maker - they learned their lesson. That means back to the drawing board as to how to cool their nv35 despite .13 micron processing - should make chipset run cooler, right, compared to ATI .15 micron with traditional HSF.

Now I'm confused. For MS FS 2004 which should I get or wait for from the following:1) (NV30)NVidia 5800 Ultra FX 128mb DDR2 128 bit memory bus ETA Soon2) ATI 9800 128mb DDR 256 bit memory bus ETA Soon3) (NV35)(aka 6000 fx) 128mb DDR2 256 bit memory bus ETA Not so soon4) ATI 9800 PRO 256mb DDR2 256 bit memory bus ETA fairly soonI'm not in a huge hurry, I want to upgrade for the upcomming summer releases of MS FS2004 and UBI's Lock-On-Modern-Air-Combat "lo-mac.com"Also, I currently have a 4X AGP motherboard. I have noticed that most modern video card have 8X AGP. Do I need to get a new 8X AGP motherboard too?Any suggestions from any members would GREATLY be appreciated.Sincerely,ChuckyWannna play???