Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbuchner1

work in progress

Guest cbuchner1

A realtime, semi-transparent moving map display showing the Tileproxy loading activity. Not to be confused with a cumulus cloud ;) This it is injected into the Flight Simulator graphics using "black magic". I intend to also add a little bit of text or activity indication also (Tiles per second, status messages etc). And of course this can be switched off.Doesn't work on Windows XP Professional 64 Bit on SP2/Acceleration yet. What you see is Vista Business Edition and FSX SP1 on a laptop with cheap Intel graphics.Christianhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/182917.jpg

Guest jean-pierre peretti

Woah!!!!Santa Claus at work again and again!Thanks Christian.JpP

Christian,Nice work. Can we assume that the different shading represents the LOD values of the tiles. It might be a good idea if we new which LOD(s) were being represented. Also in Manage Service caches, I would like to know exactly what has been downloaded in terms of the various LOD values.B

Guest cbuchner1

umm, having a textual legend could certainly clarify things, but it might lead to some screen clutter.This graphics is more or less a development tool for myself to understand better how FSX loads the tiles and with what strategy. It will eventually lead to Tileproxy knowing in advance what will be loaded next by FSX, so we can have that pre-loaded already, resulting in zero extra networking delay.Interesting BTW to watch how on a Quad core chip up to three square sections are updated simultaneously.

Guest cbuchner1

Let me quickly add that this DirectX hooking thing brings a few new possibilities, most notably:Modifying textures at run time! Why wait for FSX to load and update a texture when Tileproxy could do it on its own ;-)Modifying shadow maps... higher resolution terrain shadows without the jaggies? dynamic cloud shadows anyone? (I would still have to solve the difficult problem where to find current cloud positions though). Updating those shadow maps will take some extra RAM and lots of CPU for sure.Adding extra overlays containining more information. Maybe an API for third party windows could be created, including support for grabbing the title bar and resizing the windows (input events like mouse and keyboard input could be grabbed before FSX "sees" them).Christian

Guest jean-pierre peretti

Hi Christian>...>Modifying textures at run time! Why wait for FSX to load and>update a texture when Tileproxy could do it on its own ;-)...>That would be a major improvement! Do you think it is really thinkable ?Would that new way of handling the graphics have a consequence on the autogen possibility to be displayed simultaneously ? Have a good dayJpP

>>Interesting BTW to watch how on a Quad core chip up to three>square sections are updated simultaneously.>I raised my question because I wish to know if the LOD 15 information is being loaded. Flying around Malta yesterday the scenery was very blurred. LOD 13 at best. My quad runs at 100% most of the time at 3.15 GHz - that is a lot of computing. The G E browser shows detailed pictures of Malta so the info is there.My internet connection runs at 2.5 mbps and after an initial load up I see very little traffic.What is disconcerting is when scenery beneath the aircraft is distorted (should this be LOD 15 data) and yesterday on one server (not G E) I got the following message: Tile API : JPEG decoding problem @ level 14.All assistance appreciated.B