Sign in to follow this  
Truthan

Beta 7 - A Newbies Quick Guide:

Guest jdeane

Thanks for the quick reply Christian - but I am now thoroughly confused. It seems that the good scenery I am seeing may be to do with Ultimate Terrain (USA and Europe) and not TileProxy. Do I have to uninstall these? I have now installed/de-installed/re-installed TP four times, and always with the same results - i.e. thousands and thousands of pre-loaded tiles and no recorded hits, so I presume from what you say that I am seeing the default scenery. (I tried to send a screen shot but couldn't get it to a small enough size) Some facts about what I am doing:Windows VistaFSX with SP1 and SP2, located at F:FSXTile Proxy installed at F:FSXTileproxyTwo new folders created at F:TPcache and F:TPworldProxyuser.ini edited to point to F:TPcache - otherwise as per Ed's download ini file.I start TP by clicking on ProxyUser.exe in the F:FSXTileproxy folder, and when the stats window comes up, start FSX itself.Any clue as to what I have to do now to get the pre-loaded tiles to be used in FSX? Please tell me it's something simple (and preferably not something to do with Vista!!)Jeremy

Guest cbuchner1

No need to uninstall any other addons.Just to make sure:F:TPWorld is hopefully not the entire path to Tileproxy's scenery?The driver contains an actual check that looks for the character string Tileproxy Photoreal WorldIn order to determine that the file access was actually for Tileproxy scenery. Normally the installer should make sure that this folder hierarchy exists.So for example the following terrain tile would be accepted by the driverF:TPWorldTileproxy Photoreal World0101TEXTURE000333122103231SU.BMPwhile this oneF:TPWorld0101TEXTURE000333122103231SU.BMPwould *not* be touched by Tileproxy. I did this such that Tileproxy would not accidentially start overwriting other photo scenery, such as MegaScenery L.A. (for Flight Simulator 2004).So could you verify that there is actually a folder calledF:TPWorldTileproxy Photoreal World ?If not, that is exactly why you are not seeing any TP scenery. The driver expects a certain naming that isn't there.Also, does proxyUser.exe state that it is monitoring drive F: ?Christian

Guest jdeane

Success!! Have just been flying down the Grand Canyon. Many thanks for your tips Christian. The problem was the labelling of the photoreal world folder (does this need making a bit more clear in the manual?). As soon as I got this right as you had directed me, the tiles were accessed. Marvellous scenery. Oh - might help someone - Kaspersky anti-virus seems to be OK with TP for some of the time, and then blocks downloads at other times - therefore I have now taken to turning it off during flights. Thanks again.Jeremy

Guest cbuchner1

My question is: How did the installer let you create that folder in the first place? ;) I thought I had made it create a folder "Tileproxy Photoreal World" INSIDE whatever folder you choose for the scenery.Let me check that installer again.

To all TP users,Christian has just relesed an update to Beta 7 that offers preload capabilities for all LOD levels (10 rings in total) and adds several smaller speed improvements and bug fixes.I have updated the Quick Guide, ini, and online manual accordingly.-Ed

"We shall not cease from exploration...

and the end of all our exploring...

will be to arrive where we started...

and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

G'day EdI am not too sure what this means. I am using Beta 7 on FS9 - I think that it was the Beta 7 Final that was issued some weeks ago.What is it that I should do - if anything? Sounds like some additional kind of preloading would be advantageous.Regards Barry

Hi Barry,I ran a quick test with this latest version this morning and got great results in FS9. Nice quick tile loading. I have other work to attend to today so I wont be able to test more until later, maybe tommorow, but initially I had no problems. Beta 7 seems to no longer uses the lod_distance= command to extend higher resolution around the aircraft for FS9 as in Beta 6, but if you use level_mapping to re-map level 14 to 13 and even 12 too, you should get a good wide radius around the aircraft. This worked great for me:min_level=5max_level=15level_mapping=5,6,7,8,9,10,11,14,14,14,15The level 14 textures loaded for a distance of many miles around the aircraft, (well past my foreground view), and were quite adept at updating ahead of time at around 80knots. The latest version of my pre-configured ProxyUser.ini in the "Quick Guide" has been updated this latest "extra preload levels" version, but if you wish to try the extended lod rings as mentioned above you'll have to edit the level_mapping parameters your preferred texture service. Good Luck.-Ed

- T. S. Eliot

Hi EdWhoa!! :) I need to step back a bit! :) I can see that this will need a new INI file -- but do I need to uninstall the programme itself and install a new version?? RegardsBarry

Hi Barry,I don't installing over the top of a previous release is prohibited but you should probably make sure your "TileProxy Photoreal World" and Cache Service Folder locations are designated to reside in the same locations as your previous install.As the TP Manual mentions, the only potential problem with a complete uninstall is the uninstaller will restore your scenery.cfg to the state is was in BEFORE the original install, so any 3rd party sceneries you've installed while TileProxy was onbord will have to be reinstalled via the scenery library. If you haven't installed any (or very many) that's not an issue of course.Frankly, just for good measure I've always completely uninstalled the previous version before installing an update. It completely removes the "TileProxy Photoreal World" and Cache Service Folders. It doesn't seem to delete the "TileProxy" root folder in your main FS folder, so I delete that manually, then I defragment the drive and re-install the new version completely fresh. All in all it takes only a handful minutes for the whole process, and I can then I can rest assured I'm conducting a "clean" test so far as previous tile downloads, caching, and all TP root files are concerned. Just for the record,(as I think you were using FS9 as I recall), I did get to try it out this new release (03-01-08) on a more extended FS9 run today and I didn't get ANY "ocassional" black tiles as I had before, not one, even in the same locations i had seen a few previously, so I was very pleased. Tile loading was steady and consistent and even with a host of random course changes thrown in TP adjusted quickly. For me at least, this release is thus far very FS9 friendly, and my initial FSX run just as smooth. -Ed

- T. S. Eliot

Hi EdTHanks for that.I uninstalled TP - defraged the Hdd and installed the new version of TP.I installed your INI file (without the mods above) Everything went fine and it appeared to me that TP was loading more quickly and smoothly. In fact everything was great !!Except I now finish up with a circle of black that follows me around when I fly. I can see TP textures in the distance - from a distance they look good. But the trouble is I don't have any "close-up" textures now. :( The TP DOS screen looks fine to me - can't see any problems with the INI file. Everything looks as it should -- but>>>>!http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185899.jpg

Bazza,If you were using "Service Example 1" fault was mine! If so, try this. First cleanup your World folder at Start>TileProxy>Cleanup World Folder. (I've found after a "black tile" incident it's a good idea). Then edit your ini file under Service Example 1 from:max_level=19 >>>to>>> max_level=15 What happened was I had somehow overlooked changing the value of the default FSX max_level down to max_level=15 for the FS9 "Service Example 1". This might not have been an issue since the "max_lod" level was already cutting things off at LOD 13, but since I had added level_mapping to each entry to facilitate users testing re-mapping techniques, and since the number of min/max levels MUST match the number of level mapping entries it may have messed you up. Finally, you actually could remove level mapping altogether but you may want to try this setting to extend your resolution out a bit:level_mapping=8,9,10,11,12,14,14,15or evenlevel_mapping=8,9,10,11,14,14,14,15for even more diameter around the aircraft.My sincere apologies to have caused you any trouble. Hope this solves your problem. I sure appreciate the heads up...I've corrected it in my ProxyUser.zip file.-Ed

- T. S. Eliot

YIKES Correction! (Sorry its late) I meant:level_mapping=9,10,11,12,14,14,15or evenlevel_mapping=9,10,11,14,14,14,15In other words drop the 8's if your min/max levels are only 9 to 15.I'll get some sleep now.-Ed

- T. S. Eliot

Hi EdThanks for that.I don't think that that is my problem - as I was using Service Provider 3.Thing I have noted however is that the min and max levels for Service 1 are different to Services 2,3 and 4. Service one goes from 9-15 , whereas Services 2,3,4 go from 5-15. It is interesting because the "Manage Service caches" facility shows that I only have data for LOD levels 9-15 in the area that I am attempting to fly. Barry

Hey Bazza!After much testing today I discovered that if the new "preload_max_lod=" level is above 12 that I got black tiles all over the place in FS9! I've uploaded a new preconfigured ProxyUser.ini to the quick guide and the screens below of Brisbane International were aquired with it using service 2 (GE. It looked good on the other sevice too. If you still have the latest BETA 7 installed try changing to these settings in Service 3:preload_max_lod=8preload_max_lod=12min_level=8max_level=15level_mapping=8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15map_version=1.7color_hack=Nocolor_level=0bulk_extend=50For more high resolution around the aircraft, edit the level mapping to look like this:level_mapping=8,9,10,11,14,14,14,15I got great results this way.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185927.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185928.jpg

- T. S. Eliot

Hey Bazza, Nevermind I guess, I just saw your other "Missing LOD" post and it looks like you and CB got it figured!-Ed

- T. S. Eliot