Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbuchner1

30cm screen shots

Guest cbuchner1

Hmm, is it just me or do I have the feeling that the lowest resolution LOD ring now takes forever to load with this 30cm version? My hard drive is going like crazy. I may have messed up something that needs to be fixed with a performance update.If these performance issues negatively affect your flying experience, I'd say: go back to the 1 m Beta 7 release. Well I did say this 30cm release was "experimental", didn't I? ;)UPDATE: Those having the source code and a Visual C++ compiler handy, simply comment out the two FlushFileBuffers(file) calls in util.c - and all the others, just wait for a fix...

This is Christians' project and his analysis of the situation, and that is something we the customer have to respect no matter if we want something different.Of course, you could always implement your own and do what you want. As the others he references have.

Guest gunnarmd

Hallo Christian and Phil,with these answers I can live well.:) I think that it become only problematic, if one pursues economic interests with these programs.

Guest cbuchner1

> Yes, the data explosion at those resolutions is immense. I look forward to seeing your additional approaches :-)The data explosion is already giving me headaches right now.For example, my heap (address space) quickly fragments, so that I can no longer allocate the huge memory blocks I require to process 8182x8192 pixel squares to soften the water masks at the shore lines. So I will have to stop allocating and freeing those buffers dynamically because after a while the allocations will fail randomly... and the user gets corrupt graphics.It's actually the first time I've run into the 2GB address space limit. I've had Tileproxy consume 1.5 GB of virtual address space while running . Because I want this program to work for (mostly) everyone, I will have to change the code a bit.Christian

Guest cbuchner1

> An experimental 30cm Tileproxy version is now available on sourceforge.net Yes, the 30cm release has indeed been *very experimental* For one, the low res zoom levels (LOD 8, LOD 9) load too slowly. That's a performance bug I introduced by accident.A word of warning about memory: The 30cm resolution will easily reach your machine's memory limits even if you have 2GB of RAM or more. When you fly near shores and lakes, expect some occasional graphics corruption because the virtual address space of the proxyUser.exe process fragments too much and some large memory allocations fail. The water masks simply shove too many pixels around. ;-)You can alleviate the problem by setting the /3GB switch on Windows XP Professional (possibly Vista, too) and by patching the proxyUser executable to use the 3GB address space. That's a topic mostly for advanced users. This is in line with the tweaks circulating on the net for enabling the /3GB switch for FSX.All the others please wait for a final 30cm release which will hopefully fix the memory fragmentation issue. You can also go back to 60cm resolution which is much more sane concerning memory requirements.Christian

Guest cbuchner1

Ok, no more "experimental". I just went "final" with this Beta 7 - I think I've got the issues with memory allocation in 30cm resolution under control. If you have 2GB of system memory, you can try the 30cm mode. Doing water masks in this mode is tremendously slow though. Tileproxy may allocate 1.5GB of virtual memory when doing water masks in this resolution. I won't be releasing updates that quickly now. Also I will think about a new versioning scheme. How about a 1.0 release next time? ;)Christian

Guest cbuchner1

Most high fidelity coverage is probably in the United States and Europe. Individual states in the US may be covered entirely in high res (possibly California).Many metropolitan areas worldwide should be covered, albeit at various levels of quality. Sometimes it's aerial photography, sometimes it's satellite images. Sometimes the clouds haven't been edited out fully. Often the high res does not in blend so well with the suburban surroundings which are lower resolution.If no coverage is available, TP falls back to lower res source data where needed.Christian

Guest cbuchner1

Yes we're all warm and fuzzy here. More constructive comments please? You recognize that I am flying well below 1000 feet here? Of course when going too low even the 30cm resolution is not enough.

Had a chance to try V7 today after setting it up on vista and a HP Quad,once i deleted the old drivers all the issues i had with V6were resolved, water masking looks great and load times much improved as were framerates compared to the default FS tiles on this machine. 30cm.jpg

Guest cbuchner1

15cm, anyone?Nah, just kidding. Then tileproxy would consume 2 GB of your memory during processing and tiles would grow to 90 MB each. Not speaking of the 2000 tiles it would pull from the server for each square kilometer....

Guest wolfram_ravenwolf

>15cm, anyone?>>Nah, just kidding. Then tileproxy would consume 2 GB of your>memory during processing and tiles would grow to 90 MB each.>Not speaking of the 2000 tiles it would pull from the server>for each square kilometer....LOL - I'd be happy with 1 m/pixel if the scenery stayed sharp! :)I'm trying to benchmark the optimal settings (at least for my system), but since "individual tiles per second" changes rapidly, it's not so easy. Any chance of you showing - or even better: logging - an average value? That would be quite helpful.