Sign in to follow this  
yarnevi

Why no TP to BGL conversion program ??

Why don't you write a program to convert all of this photoreal scenery into BGL files ?? You've done such a wonderful job so far, is it too hard or slow or what ?? What's the reason you don't want to even bother doing it ?? Or will you...

The beauty of TileProxy is, it circumvents having to build up a large geographical area one tile at a time, and then having hundreds of PERMANENT BGL gigabytes laying around clogging the hard drive. It is a very time intensive to create even a small region of earth as permanent scenery. As TP continues to improve, the whole idea of permanent BGL scenery looks less appealing to me. IF Microsoft put a tile streaming function into FS11 with thier own (even with seasonal textures available!) map servers, permanent BGL scenery (for large geographic areas anyway) would be a thing of the past...and it already is for us TP users.That said, if you'd like to create your own photoreal scenery from downloaded map service textures, a freeware program called FS Earth Tiles will do this for you. Like TP it's a frequently updated Beta phase project, but it works quite well. It seems the number of square miles you can render per pass is limited to 6-10 square miles or so depending on the amount of memory you have. So building up a large area will take some time and you should have lots of drive space on hand. It's available at: http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/read.php...4634#reply_5775

"We shall not cease from exploration...

and the end of all our exploring...

will be to arrive where we started...

and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

If I never clear out all of those tiles, isn't the hard drive filling up anyway ??And what is the world folder and why do I need to clean it out with the batch file program ??

Q: If I never clear out all of those tiles, isn't the hard drive filling up anyway ??A: YesQ: And what is the world folder and why do I need to clean it out with the batch file program ??A: a. Where the downloaded texures reside. b. If it gets too large.You see....the great thing about TP is...anyone can fly from Arizona to Montana, or California to New Jersey, or Egypt to Norway, with an endless carpet of real world textures beneath their aircraft on a whim whenever they decide to. It only takes the short time TP and FS need to load the departure location. BGL scenery would require multi-terabytes of storage space to cover the whole world and insure you can fly anywhere at any time. AN...the map services update their databases periodically so it's a pretty up to date world.The answers to these questions and many more can be found in the TP manual: http://edtruthan.com/tileproxy/manual.htm

"We shall not cease from exploration...

and the end of all our exploring...

will be to arrive where we started...

and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Its called rights to perform that usage of the data.Christian is already working in a gray area, where what he is doing is on the boundary of the EULA for VE/GE.Performing offline processing on the content and delivering it a different way is way across the line.Regardless of whether or not you agree about the line, that is the call Christian has made. We should respect his decision and appreciate what he has given the community.

Guest gunnarmd

>Christian is already working in a gray area, where what he is>doing is on the boundary of the EULA for VE/GE.>>Performing offline processing on the content and delivering it>a different way is way across the line.Hallo,this line was arbitrarily drawn according to my opinion. From my view it is completely all the same whether the data in the FS online is processed or however to offline outside from this. The final result is the same.