Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pilot533

Awsome Job!

Guest Pilot533

Hi, I had originally tried tileproxy early this summer, but I was getting slow tile loading times. There has been a burst of publicity with beta 7, so I decided to try it out. Its working great, Chrisitan you have done an amazing job, now I can get a steady 1400 tiles per second with awsome fps, why on earth would i want to use default innacurate blurry fsx graphics with rediculous fps when i can have an entire photreal world with more performance than I know what to do with? I was able to get it up and running in 5 minutes by following the tutorial, anyone who hasnt tried it yet really should now!

"Why on Earth..." indeed! 1400 TPS! Rock on.Glad to know the tutorial helped get you up and running with Beta 7!

"We shall not cease from exploration...

and the end of all our exploring...

will be to arrive where we started...

and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Guest Pilot533

lol, I was very surpired by 1400 too, but for some reason I cant get them back that high any more, now they are around 500, the only thing that i did was change some of the water options.

Guest cbuchner1

1400 during initial load is normal.during flight, a lot depends on how much CPU time is *not* spent on rendering graphics. Here's a simplified Flight Simulator "flow chart":1st core: rendering and executing texture I/O2nd core: requesting texture I/O3rd core: requesting texture I/O4th core: requesting texture I/OSo the bottleneck is the "executing texture I/O" part ... which gets the leftover CPU cycles from rendering. Low graphics settings or locked frames help of course. As do high FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION values. Cores 2-4 are wasting electrons while waiting for core 1 to execute the I/O. ;)Christian

Tileproxy is fantastic. I have not yet seen 3000 tps on load up but I am not far off - just a little more overclocking should do it. TPS in normal running is about 900 to 1500.There are times during a flight when nothing happens. The scenery is sharp and tps is at zero - nothing to do I guess.This has to be a commercial product now. FSX was made for this. From now on default scenery is history.Bern.

Guest cbuchner1

No plans to commercialize this.Oh we could use those spare CPU tiles for generating AutoGen then, what do you think? ;)Christian

I would really like to see winter (snow/ice) scenery. I do not know how you do it but may I make a suggestion. If you could filter out all the greens and the pale earth colours (browns) and replace these with snow - essentially white with a tint to represent the time of day - blue for midday, yellow and orange at sunrise and sunset. FSX may do this for you.You would need to keep the dark hard edges to define the scenery. The processing power needed for this could be huge.I do not see the point of using autogen to generate buildings. These do not work, they never look right. Landmark buildings and bridges are already available. Autogen trees look ok most of the time. Microsoft seem to think that every conifer is a giant redwood, try flying round Scotland on default scenery to see what I mean. So you would need a decent library of tree types for it to work. In Scotland managed plantations are felled before the trees get to high.I enjoy flying round Gran Canaria and I have the excelent CANARAS scenery which gives a very detailed mesh. The ordinary houses/hotels do not work very well IMO.The biggest improvement anyone can make to TP is a good mesh. A higher photographic resolution is nice but the memory requirements could be a stumbling block as most people are still running 32 bit systems that will not address 4 gigs.Just a few thoughts.Bernard

OH MY GOD:) I did not understand a word but I did not need to. Those pictures were FANTASTIC.Any chance?Bernard

Guest cbuchner1

Beta 8. Coming this summer to hard drives near you.

Guest Challenger604

This pics in that thread are incredible. The one with the fog over the mountains looks real. We are finally getting there. Thanks for Tileproxy a thousand times.

Guest cbuchner1

Except that this was not done with Tileproxy.It's Switzerland Professional respectively France VFR at 4.75m resolution, processed through a seasonal texture filter.Christian