Sign in to follow this  
Guest corepunch

using tileproxy with megascenery

Guest corepunch

what is the proper order to have tileproxy working with megascenery. Should I move all my megascenery x above the tileproxy entries or is it fine the way it is? Or does tileproxy need to be turned off completely?Tileproxy sure is amazing.. now I'm flying all over the world just to see what it looks like :)

Guest cbuchner1

If you want TP to kick in where Megascenery ends, then move the Megascenery entries above the TP entries. TP has to be running of course ;)

Guest corepunch

That's exactly what I needed to know! Thank you very much

Guest wolfram_ravenwolf

Yes, good to know, and what would be expected.Just to confirm: When another scenery is higher priority than TileProxy's, it won't load TileProxy scenery "in the background" that gets overwritten with the "foreground" scenery, it only loads TileProxy scenery where the higher priority scenery doesn't apply?That's exactly what I've always been trying to do: I'd create a "home base" with FS Earth Tiles and use TileProxy in addition to it when flying further away. The best of both worls!About version numbers: Yes, TileProxy has become such a polished project with essential use that a 1.0 stable version is very much appropriate.

On a slightly different note, but still considering mixing TileProxy with other sceneries, is there a way to make TileProxy consider only, say, LOD 12 and above? Something like a min_lod option? That way, one could take full advantage of low resolution photo-scenery products, like FS Altitude (which has a source resolution of 14.25 m/px), and still have high resolution textures provided by TileProxy close in. Of course, putting the low-res scenery on top of TileProxy will achieve just that, along with a considerable speed-up I might add, but beta 7 preview 2 still preloads LOD 11 and below, obviously in vain. Since this preloading activity eats up a good part of the speed increase (and, needless to say, also creates completely unnecessary traffic and server load), I have switched back to beta 7 preview 1 for the time being. That finally allows me to fly at jet speeds while still having LOD 15 tiles in front of the aircraft most of the time. And that's with LOD_Radius = 6.5. :)Edit: Wolfram, my tests clearly show that TileProxy only loads what the sceneries on top of it don't provide. Ie, I made a large fake scenery at LOD 0 -11, put it on top of TileProxy, and, lo and behold, TileProxy only loaded LOD 12 - 15 in that area. So the scenery priorities indeed work as advertised in FSX.

Guest wolfram_ravenwolf

>Edit: Wolfram, my tests clearly show that TileProxy only loads>what the sceneries on top of it don't provide. Ie, I made a>large fake scenery at LOD 0 -11, put it on top of TileProxy,>and, lo and behold, TileProxy only loaded LOD 12 - 15 in that>area. So the scenery priorities indeed work as advertised in>FSX.That's great! Thanks for the info!

Guest cbuchner1

And to support this nice find, I have added a preload_min_lod and preload_max_lod statement to ProxyUser.INI in Tileproxy_Beta7_Final_Update.zip. So you can restrict TP to not preload LOD rings that won't be of interest to you. Nice, huh? Also I reduced memory usage and sped up generation of water masks greatly. What more could you ask for? ;-)The only problem with this release is: it had about 1 hour of "quality testing" and FS9 has not been tested with it. Ouch.Oh boy, I am running out of names for my "final" releases! Need to start collecting idea for Beta 8 due later this summer.

Guest corepunch

hey thats pretty cool... on a side note, as you stated there is a difference in quality for different areas from the various services... (I've found that google is the best for tokyo for example, so what i've been doing is manually copying all the cache from the other folders and putting them all into one folder.. is that the proper way to do that? I'm still confused as to which cache folder tileproxy will render the current scenery.Thanks again

Guest cbuchner1

so you want to combine the high res from google with the low res surrounding from other services? hmm....Different service by LOD... haven't thought about that yet.

Guest corepunch

I was thinking more like different service by region, but LOD may work too since google seems to cut off the downloads fairly quickly.By the way, I'm still amazed by your program :) makes flight simulator so much more fun for me.

Guest corepunch

thought you'd all like to see tileproxy compared to real life :) amazing eh?

Guest corepunch

oops, wrong real world pdx pic :) here it is

Guest wolfram_ravenwolf

Well, who cares about FSX (not) looking like the "magic screenies" anymore, if it can look like THAT!I think it's fair to say that YOU, Christian, changed the game. From now on, who would use Flight Simulator without real photoscenery? Certainly no one who likes to fly VFR! So from now on, any flight simulator will need to provide such a capability to be competitive.ACES would do well to hire you and/or acquire rights to use your software - before someone else does it. ;) And the tile providers will be happy if they get further agreements that finally allow this kind of usage. Maybe that will cost the flight simulator companies a bit of money for another license, but I'd gladly pay a bit more for the product if it included such a service. I'd not be so happy about pay-per-play, though, I prefer a higher price at once instead of smaller payments all the time.The ones who will not be so happy may be the scenery designers. Now scenery design will have to focus more on added value, like 3D objects and corrected airport layouts. But that's fine, I've purchased VFR Germany from Aerosoft despite (or because) using TileProxy and FS Earth Tiles. Photoscenery is great, but they also offer objects and airports, so it works very well together.

Guest cbuchner1

The key invention of my software is not that it provides photo scenery. The bit of ingenuity is that I managed to do this through interfaces that weren