Sign in to follow this  
barryward12345

The missing final LOD

Hi allSince installing the latest version with the pre-load feature, using Service 3 I am getting thishttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/185909.jpgThe "Manage Service Cache" facility is showing me that I have data for 6 levels - and , although the zoomed in map is fairly unclear, it appears to me that the final level that shows in the cache is probably the one that the sim isn't displaying.Beats me!!Barry

Guest cbuchner1

Can you also give me the geographic location you are trying this on?Which is the airport?You may try to restrict the automated preloading by setting preload_max_lod to 12 or even lower. So LOD 13 (the highest) would have to be explicitly requested by FS9.Christian

Hi ChristianThanks for the help. I tried reducing the max preload level to 12 as you suggested - but still the same result. The number of levels preloaded ( as seen in the TP DOS box) went from 6 to 5 (as expected) - however when the Sim loaded , I was expecting my Modem lights to show activity as the Sim asked for the final level of textures - but it appeared to me that it was not happening.I also tried this on another Service provider - and got the same result.Something appears to have changed between my last installation (which worked fine - with only the occasional black square) Regards barry

I just had a look at the "manage Service Caches" facility - and it is now only showing data for 5 levels (as would now be expected) . Before it was showing 6 levels of data when level 13 was the max preload level -- so it looks to me like the problem is that the Sim itself is not displaying the final level 13 dataBarry

Guest cbuchner1

OK, I tried my standard test for FS2004. The predefined flight "Through the Alps".Set preload_max_lod to 8 and preload_min_lod to 9. With this trick I effectively disabled all preloading and was able to observe what tiles FS2004 actually loaded and in what order. Note how smart FS9 loads its tiles. First everything in front of the plane, then everything else.After loading the flight all LOD levels showed up.So I am afraid it must be your INI file, not a bug in TP. Could you attach it here so I can have a look?

Hi ChristianThanks again for the helpAttached is the "not working" INI file.As soon as I changed the max and min Preload levels to the figures you said, the problem went away and eveything worked perfectly - without the preload , of course.

Guest cbuchner1

Hah, ok. So the preload may cause issues here. Will investigate when I am in the mood.You can try ramping up the preload slowly, one by one. min stays at 8 and max you can increase from 8 to 13.I recommend restarting BOTH Tileproxy AND the sim between attempts.Christian

You aren't going to believe this - but after a couple of successful flights (without the preload faciity, using your amended numbers) -- I changed them back again and now eveything is working fine!!I wonder if this problem is/was related to the Service provider somehow??Barry

Yup! Same here. Figured that out the hard way. After a bunch of testing in FS9 today, I too came to the conclusion that setting preload_max_lod levels at anything over 12 in FS9 caused the black square problem. Restricting it to "preload_max_lod=12" or even lower cleared up the problem for me on three different services. I've updated the Beta 7 FS9 Quick Guide ini so others won't have the issue crop up. In FSX, having the full "preload_max_lod=15" doesn't seem to be an issue so I'm leaving that one as it is in the FSX ini. (Nice trick on the min/max value crossover to disable the preload too CB! I'll have to remember that one).

"We shall not cease from exploration...

and the end of all our exploring...

will be to arrive where we started...

and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Mystery here too...but it seems to settle down after a few trys... I loaded a flight at Laramie, Wyoming with preloads at 8 to 12 (Service 3) and got black tiles at the highest LOD ring. Rebooted TP and FS, switched to Boulder, Colorado and same thing. Then I lowered the preload max to 11 and rebooted again at Gunnison, Colorado, and the black tiles were gone. To make sure it was not just the location that made the difference, I increased preload max back to 12 at Gunnison again and no black tiles appeared. Went back to Laramie, Wyoming with the SAME 8 to 12 settings I had started with and it loaded fine! I cleared out my World Folder and Caches between these loads as well, just to make sure the loads were "fresh". Also, few times today TP has just stopped cold half way through a load and but on a second try loaded up fine at the same location. The just previous version of "Latest" (that you said had the water mask error that you fixed and was only up for a day or so) didn't give me any problems for the few hours I flew on it over the weekend. What could be the difference I wonder? Hmmm, it's no big worry though CB...with a little TLC TP still seems to get up and run fine in FS9 overall, and FSX never looked better.Can't thank you enough for all your dedication to this project Christian...now get some well deserved rest!

"We shall not cease from exploration...

and the end of all our exploring...

will be to arrive where we started...

and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Guest wolfram_ravenwolf

>OK, I tried my standard test for FS2004. The predefined>flight "Through the Alps".Sounds like a useful test. Is it a saved autopiloted flight? Any chance of you uploading it so we can use it for testing, too? I'd be very interested in that.

Guest cbuchner1

It's a standard mission in my FS 2004 professional edition. Use Service2 for decent textures.