Sign in to follow this  
Guest bstikkel

Possible to use only most detailed LOD level?

Guest bstikkel

Hello all on this forum.Is it possible to choose only LOD level 19 in the row of LOD levels that will be downloaded?It seems to me - with absolute no technical background - it is enough to download the most detailed level.Greetings,Bram Stikkel

That is indeed possible, but you'd have to wait forever for FSX to load approximately 2000 sqare miles worth of data, which would equal roughly 1.5 million tiles at LOD 17 (QMID level 19). And this is with the level of detail radius set to small. Set this to high and we're talking about 6.5 million tiles. This data explosion is the reason why FSX, as well as TileProxy, use a LOD system such that the highest resolution is only loaded in a small circle around the aircraft. As you can see in TileProxy's console window, each LOD ring has the same number of tiles, so the amount of data involved is much more sane. I'd guess that, with LOD radius set to small, each LOD ring has about 25 tiles, which means that to cover those 2000 square miles, you have to dowload as little as 250 tiles. Pretty clever, huh? ;)

Guest bstikkel

Ok, I understand. Thanks for the explaination! :-)