Sign in to follow this  
barryward12345

Recomendations for level mapping?

I am currently using Ed's INI file It shows this for Service 3[service Example 3]cache_folder=C:Program FilesMicrosoft Gamescache.service3network_module=libnettilemodule_config="conn=10|rate=1.0|verbose=0|server=http://us.maps3.yimg.com|path=/aerial.maps.yimg.com/img?x=%x&y=%y&z=%z&v=%v&t=a|useragent=Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)"min_level=5max_level=17#level_mapping=5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17map_version=1.7color_hack=Nocolor_level=0bulk_extend=50What is level mapping dependent on? Internet connection speed. What do you recommend? I have an ADSL 1.5 GB connectionThanks Barry

I wouldn't recommend any level remapping at all with this service. In my experience, their server is so slow already, and they only have one of them to start with (as opposed to the 4 the other services have), that increasing the load on it (and thus the time you have to wait for a tile) is definitely not what you want to do. Having said that, if you have visited an area before (i.e. most of the tiles are already in the cache), you might want to try mapping level 14 to one (or even two) lower levels. Have a look at the example in Service 2's section for how to do that.

Hi AristaInteresting point about the server situation - something that I will have to be alert to.MY INI file is the latest from ED Truthan . Unfortunately it doesn't have any suggested level remapping for Service 2 - so I can't see what you are saying.But I am a bit confused abut this remapping. I can understand what it is - ie replacing lower res textures with higher res ones- but I think it also involves "stretching" out higher res textures so that they go further out from the current position of the a/c?My difficulty(s) in undersanding are:1. I note that Service 1 has levels 9-17 while Services 2,3 &4 have levels 5-17. Why is this? - and what is the effect of it.2. If the max LOD of the INI is 15 (representing 1 metre res), why do the above go to 17 3. Ed published some screenshots of flying in the Florida Keys - using Service 1 and level remapping 9,10,11,12,15,16,16,16,17 But the max_lod of the INI is set to 15. It seems to me that my understanding that these are somehow related/equivalent is incorrect.4. In the TP User manual, under the section titled "Understanding the Level of Detail (LOD rings) and pre-loading" - there is a table that shows Res per pixel for the different LODs and also "Tile length" per LOD. Is "Tile length" the square size of a particular LOD. I note that the table only shows info for LODs 8-17 , but the example above for Service number 1 has levels 9-17, but the MAX_LOD is set to 15.5. Are LOD's the same thing as the remapping levels for each ServiceA bit confusing for me - but if I could just figure it out, I could work out the best level remapping for my unique set of circumstances here ( ie my machine capabilities and my ISP/internet connection capabilities crossed with any particular Service providor capabilities.Thanks for any helpBarry

>2. If the max LOD of the INI is 15 (representing 1 metre>res), why do the above go to 17 You have to keep in mind that TileProxy and FSX think in terms of LODs, whereas most of the services think in terms of QMID (quad mesh index) levels. Unfortunately, there is an offset of 2 between them, i.e. QMID = LOD + 2.>MY INI file is the latest from ED TruthanBut you have backed up the original ini file that came with the release somewhere, haven't you? If not, try something like '9,10,11,12,14,14,15,16,17', or even '9,10,11,12,14,14,15,16,17'.>but I think it also involves "stretching" out higher res>textures so that they go further out from the current position>of the a/c?Exactly. Or, more precisely, the resolution FSX sees is still the same, but instead of creating a LOD 11 tile from service tiles of roughly the same resolution (which would be QMID 13), TP creates it by scaling down higher resolution (i.e. QMID 14) tiles. The benefit is that the high quality aerial images spread further out, replacing the low quality, color-casted satellite images. The disadvantage is that the amount of data needed for a LOD ring quadruples for each level it is remapped up. I.e. for the latter of the two examples above, TP has to tranfer 4 times as much data for LOD 11, and 16 times as much for LOD 10, as it would have to without remapping. That's the reason I think level remapping is not such a good idea with services that are already slow to start with.>1. I note that Service 1 has levels 9-17 while Services 2,3 &4>have levels 5-17. Why is this? - and what is the effect of>it.I have no idea, especially why it goes as low as five. The lowest LOD TileProxy creates is 8, which corresponds to a QMID of 10.>Is "Tile length" the square size of a particular LOD.'Tile length' is the length of the edges of one LOD tile. E.g. one LOD 13 tile covers an area of 1.1 x 1.1 square kilometers.