Sign in to follow this  
barryward12345

Perhaps incorrect changes to FSx.CFG?

I have today installed TP into my new, fresh FSx installation. Over the past week, I have been "tuning" FSx and have read a lot about so-called"tweaks" for FSx. It appears that most of these were in fact developed before SP1 was issued and it seems that some are no longer of any use. In fact they may even be detrimental. It also seems that your success or otherwise in running FSx is dependent on a number of things - which some of these tweaks interract with in a negative way . 2 of these "things" relate whether you have a dual core or single core machine - and also to what amount of vid RAM you have.I note that installation of TP makes some changes to the FSx.cfg file1. TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULTI is changed for 40 to 4002. FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION goes from default 0.33 to 1.33 (with a note in the installation folder to say that if this is too sever, then go back to0.66)3. BUFFERPOOLS goes from default 4 MB to 5MB From Phil Taylors' ( MS) blog is this info relating to each of these:===============================================================TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULTIThe TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT option in the Graphics section is the target frame rate use for calculating texture bandwidth. The higher you set this value the more textures we will allocate and copy per frame to the graphics card. The lower you set this value, the less we will allocate and copy up to a minimum limit. As an example, the default rate in the

Hi Barry,Yes, I came to the same conclusions myself. However, always being prepared to experiment, I implemented Christian's configuration tweaks and found, somewhat surprisingly, that they don't seem to be giving rise to any performance problems (other than those familiar restrictions imposed by the hardware), at least not on my rig:On loading the sim and before starting TileProxy I load my TP configuration file (Settings_TileProxy.CFG) which contains the following:(Main)FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=1.33(GRAPHICS)TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024NUM_LIGHTS=8AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1LANDING_LIGHTS=1AC_SELF_SHADOW=0EFFECTS_QUALITY=2GROUND_SHADOWS=0(SCENERY)LENSFLARE=1DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=3(DISPLAY)BLOOM_EFFECTS=0SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=20(PANELS)QUICKTIPS=1PANEL_OPACITY=100(TERRAIN)LOD_RADIUS=3.500000MESH_COMPLEXITY=85MESH_RESOLUTION=22TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=25AUTOGEN_DENSITY=0DETAIL_TEXTURE=1WATER_EFFECTS=3(WEATHER)CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=3DETAILED_CLOUDS=1CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=7THERMAL_VISUALS=0DownloadWindsAloft=0DisableTurbulence=0(TrafficManager)AirlineDensity=10GADensity=10FreewayDensity=10ShipsAndFerriesDensity=15LeisureBoatsDensity=15IFROnly=0AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=1Then I start TileProxy (after ensuring I have the FSX configured ProxyUser.ini in place) and allow it time to link with the sim before I load a flight. The I go away and enjoy a cuppa while everything loads.To avoid any hassles I have another configuration file with all my normal settings (Settings_My Normal Configuration.CFG) and this can be loaded either prior to exiting the sim or at the next run:(Main)FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33(GRAPHICS)TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024NUM_LIGHTS=8AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1LANDING_LIGHTS=1AC_SELF_SHADOW=0EFFECTS_QUALITY=2GROUND_SHADOWS=0(SCENERY)LENSFLARE=1DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=3(DISPLAY)BLOOM_EFFECTS=0SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=30UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=20(PANELS)QUICKTIPS=1PANEL_OPACITY=100(TERRAIN)LOD_RADIUS=4.500000MESH_COMPLEXITY=85MESH_RESOLUTION=19TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=25AUTOGEN_DENSITY=2DETAIL_TEXTURE=1WATER_EFFECTS=4(WEATHER)CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=3DETAILED_CLOUDS=1CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=7THERMAL_VISUALS=0DownloadWindsAloft=0DisableTurbulence=0(TrafficManager)AirlineDensity=10GADensity=10FreewayDensity=10ShipsAndFerriesDensity=15LeisureBoatsDensity=15IFROnly=0AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=1The FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33 is probably now irrelevant for my dual core CPU, but this is the default value in any case so this just ensures that I can restore the status quo as needed.Same with the TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT setting. The value of 400 seems ludicrously high, but believing Christian must have his reasons for recommending this setting while using Tileproxy I have gone along with it. Oddly enough this doesn't cause any stuttering while running TP offline and using the cached data whereas it would when running the sim normally without TileProxy. A value of 30 seems to be the sweet spot value for me under normal sim operations.If you want to steer clear of any configuration headaches I would strongly recommend this approach to everyone.FS9.cfg already contains a BufferPools entry value of 6000000 (still experimenting!) so I don't need to bother about this as it's always being used.I uae a number of configuration files to cover most situations - currently:Settings_Alps.CFGSettings_Canada.CFGSettings_Faroes Islands.CFGSettings_Koorby's Configuration.CFGSettings_Mexico.CFGSettings_My Latest (General).CFGSettings_My Normal Configuration.CFGSettings_Scotflight (Highlands and Islands).CFGSettings_Stutter_test.CFGSettings_TileProxy.CFGSettings_United States.CFGSettings_VanPlusMid30cm.CFGSettings_VanPlusMid30cm.CFG.defaultSettings_VanPlusMidRecommended.CFGSettings_VanPlusMidRecommended.CFG.defaultSettings_VFR-Generation-X.CFGSettings_World.CFGVery useful capability and does make life a lot easier with the diverse range of setups needed on less than cutting edge machines like mine.Regards,MikeASRock 939Dual-SATA2, AMD Athlon 64X2 4800+ (2400MHz)(Toledo), 2GB Crucial PC3200 DDR400 Ram 3-3-3-8 (2T)(Dual Channel), (PCI-E)Sapphire ATI Radeon X1950 Pro 512MB (Catalyst 7.10 WHQL), Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 22" LCD Display Monitor (1680x1050x32), SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum (Drivers version 5.12.0001.1196 WHQL), WD Caviar SE16 250GB (WD2500KS) SATAII + Hitachi Deskstar T7K500 ATA133 UDMA-6 (320 GB), ASUS DRW-1608P2S Optical Drive, Antec P150 case with NeoHE 430W PSU, CH Products USB Yoke, Pedals and Fighterstick, Creative Gaming Headset HS-900, TrackIR Pro ver. 4.1 (build 29) with TrackClip Pro, Logitech MX1000 Laser Mouse, Windows XP Home Edition (SP2), DirectX 9.0c

Well, with my system (first generation Mac Pro, i.e. twin dual core Xeon 5150 at 2.66 GHz, ATI Radeon X1900 with 512 MB VRAM, 2 GB RAM visible to Windows XP), increasing TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULTI causes light stuttering with serious hesitations every now and then, FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION doesn't really have any effect at all on a quad core system, and BUFFERPOOLS doesn't seem to have much effect, either, at least with regard to ground textures. So I'm simply using FSX's (not TileProxy's) default settings for these. TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULTI does increase ground texture throughput slightly, though, but that small gain just isn't worth the stuttering it causes.

I found I got a huge boost in FPS by just removing FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION all together. I can't really see any graphical problems or lacks either. FSX on Windows 7 64, on Core2Duo with nVidia GTS8800.