Sign in to follow this  
thetford569

Help with Tile Proxy

Hello,I've installed Tile Proxy for the first time in a long time. I've been using GEX and UTX for awhile but with the advances in Tile Proxy I wanted to try using it as well. Installation went fine and I'm using the proxyuser.ini file from the tutorial that is stickied here in this forum. My problem I'm having is that no high resolution tiles are loading. Everything I'm seeing is blurry unless I pause the sim and let it catch up...then after flying for a few seconds it's blurry again. My tiles per second are in the 800-1000 range while loading the flight. As soon as I start flying the tiles per second are 24-28. I don't know what is causing this dramatic drop in the TPS? I would assume it has to either do with my internet connection or CPU. I would lean to my CPU because I'm getting 2586kbps download on speed tests online. Is the problem most likely my old technology dual core CPU? If so what might some of you recommend that wouldn't break the bank. I know that my motherboard can handle processors with the LGA775 socket and is compatible with both Core2Duo and Quad Core processors.Here are my system specs:Intel P5N-32 SE SLI Deluxe MotherboardIntel Pentium Extreme Edition 965 3.73 GHz Dual Core Processor2 GB Corsair RAMNvidia 7950 GX 2 Video Card with 1 GB Video MemoryThanks!Brandon

I'd like to be able to help you Brandon - but unfortunately, I wouldn't know what is happening with your system.I am using an E6600 dual core CPU with 2 gig RAM - it works well enough, but I only have an AGP vid card which is a few years old in design. My setup seems to work quite well right out of the box. It is important to select the right place to fly - using the right map provider. I use this website http://www.flashearth.com/ to find areas around the world that have high res photos. I find that,on average, Yahoo is good right across the US. Where have you been trying to fly? - and using which provider?Barry

well I tried the Los Angeles area and the Dallas/Ft. Worth area...both of them are covered in high resolution detail. I was using Yahoo for the data and they definately have the high res maps of those areas. It's not that way in the sim though...blurry and muddy as soon as I fly.By the way I am using FSX SP2/AccelerationLike I said my tiles per second are really high while the flight is loading (800-1000 tps) but as soon as I take off they are at 0 and then peak at 20-28tps.Brandon

TPS figure whilst loading looks ok but your tps whilst flying should be 10 times that which you are getting.Things to try :Run only FSX and TP on your system and see what you get.Disable all none microsoft services with msconfig. This will turn of virus checker and spybot checkers if you have them and free up resources.Run only with the 60cm resolution.If you read through the recent postings in the forum you will find loads of useful information.I can recommend quad cores.Bern

Guest cbuchner1

Lock your frame rate to something well below 20 FPS, so FSX can spend more time dedicated to requesting tiles from Tileproxy, instead of graphics renderingChristian

I have FSX and Tile Proxy running on a separate Windows XP boot that has NOTHING running in the background. I tweaked this installation according to Nick N.'s posts in the other avsim forums. There are only 23 processes running at boot. Also I cannot lock my frame rates...I have an NVIDIA card and locking the frame rate puts me around 7 frames per second with severe stuttering. Leaving it at unlimited gives me 20-30 frames per second with no stuttering. It is not enjoyable at all. I was running FS Real Time and Track IR in the background...I'll try it without FS Real Time and see if that makes a difference.Brandon

well tonight I tried Tile Proxy and FSX without FS Real Time running. The only other program running was my Track IR. Same result...got TPS figures in the 800-900 range while the flight was loading. As I was taking off I watched the Tile Proxy window. It started at 0 TPS value and then leveled off around 40 with dips lower than that. I'm guessing since my internet bandwith seems to be fine that when the CPU is loaded trying to run FSX it just doesn't have the juice to load those high res tiles in the sim? I'm going to have to save money for a Quad Core I guess. NewEgg has an Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4 Ghz that would fit my motherboard. I assume this would cause a great jump in my FSX performance from my current CPU?Brandon

Guest cbuchner1

The stuttering might be caused by a value of FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION in fsx.cfg that may be set too high. Try 0.66 instead of the default 1.33 and see if you then get acceptable frame rates.

>NewEgg has an Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4 Ghz that would fit my>motherboard. I assume this would cause a great jump in my FSX>performance from my current CPU?>>BrandonYes you should get a better performance from a new quad core especially if you overclock it. 3GHz should be possible though I do not know much about your mobo.Bern

Guest davidhw

>My tiles per second are in the 800-1000 range while>loading the flight. As soon as I start flying the tiles per>second are 24-28.Sounds like your machine is only using one core with FSX.Have you got[JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=3in your fsx.cfg?Apparently FSX will use all cores without it, but your setup isn't that different to mine, so I can't see why you're getting such clogged-up tiles/sec.

well the task manager shows both cores being used however I don't know if that line is in my cfg file. I just installed a Q6600 quad core last night and FSX is flying! However when I loaded tile proxy I still had the same results...blurry tiles with a low tiles/sec. I'm probably going to do a re-install of tile proxy and see how that helps.Brandon