Sign in to follow this  

Help with G-Force 2

Hi, I need if you can tell me what are the best Drivers for a GForce2(Win Me,PIII 800) and what other things can I do to get the best graphics quality and fix the blurry textures. Thanks in advance.Amer Yordi

Guest Jimbofly

Hi Amer,The best solution? Get a Radeon 9700!If you can't afford it, the best drivers to get would probably be the latest NVidia drivers (41.xx) available at the NVidia website (www.nvidia.com), as they contain new features for the GeForce3 and 4 but are also better with the older GeForce2 cards.As for the blurry textures, that is a lot more difficult to answer as there could be thousands of reasons for it.Hope this helps!James

Thanks JamesI'm now downloading the 41.09 drivers, but there are a few more tricks to get better graphics, somethings with a program tweak...something I dont know the name and how to use it and some changes on the FS2002.cfg too. Anyone can help me with those things.Amer

I've actually found the 21.83 drivers the best for the GeF 2. Many of the later driver sets enhanced features of the later GeForce cards, but I haven't seen any benefit for the GeForce 2. Many raved about the improved visuals of the recently released "Omega" driver sets, but these visuals are simply gained through tweaks of the registry that the tweaking tools can also accomplish. The 21.83 drivers have been incredibly stable--that was it for me--being able to run FS (as I did the other day) for 12-16 hours at a stretch, w/o a hiccup. After trying the newer drivers, I quit playing the driver upgrade game and went back to the 21.83 drivers--the age of my card, the time entailed to do it right, and the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" adage all came into play.Having a P3-800 myself, let me also touch on blurry textures. First, there are two types of blurry textures. Static blurriness--kind of a dull general look to the textures, can be easily fixed on the GeF 2 by adjusting your LOD, and enabling anisotropic filtering. I use Rivatuner for this, others use other tools. I'm not the best tutor on the process, but others here are excellent in this type of help.The other type of blurriness you can run into is dynamic blurriness--the tendency of textures to blur as you move about the scenery. This is directly related to two things: the amount of texture load you place on FS, which is divided between ground scenery and aircraft textures, and the amount of processing demand you place on your cpu.For my system, the things which help eliminate dynamic blurries:-Choosing simpler aircraft, rather than complex ones (take my recently released Microlight as an example--it has a very low poly count and texture load. Textures stay crisp in the areas of highest detail).-Locking your framerates to something appropriate for the level of detail you fly at. I tend to fly with AI and Autogen off. I can get away with a fps lock of 25, and see minimal dynamic blurries. When I first started running 2k2, I tended to leave AI maxed, and Autogen up there as well. Wanting everything, I kept my fps at unlimited. Worked great over Kansas, but trips over the mountains became a blurry mess. AI and Autogen both grab cpu power, and texture memory. If you like flying with them on, I would lock the frames down to between 15-18. Our cpus are of the gray haired generation now--AI and Autogen tests them a great deal (especially AI). Some have had good results turning down the mesh complexity. May work for you if you find AI and Autogen a must.I hope this helps.... For me, after 16 months of 2k2, I have it down to where I can enjoy hour after hour of flying. Also, I may be an odd fellow, as I've never had to do a reinstall of 2k2.... It works as well for me today as it did the day I first installed it...

Thanks a lot I'll test all that!!!Amer