Sign in to follow this  
Deaf Pilot

Quick question about caching

TP has been working marvelously for me - however, I have been building quite a sizable cache (well over 2GB now) and yet it doesnt seem like FSX uses the cache. What I mean by that is if I fly through the same area in different flight simulator sessions, it seems like TileProxy just calls the tiles off the server like I've never been there before. I would think that having a cache would mean textures for an area you have been through before or have frequented would load right away, like default FSX textures. So how does that work?

TP will still access the internet even though you have a cache. I think this is because TP will only load high resolution tiles in the immediate vicinity of your aircraft. If you fly over that area again and you do not fly the EXACT route a different set of tiles will be loaded. You can see what has been loaded in the Manage Service Caches facility.Check when TP is loading that you do not get the comment (and this is from memory so may not be exactly correct) "Turning Cache facility off - it does not work for you"This happened to me because TP had not got permission to access the caches from Windows Vista. If you are running Vista check your permissions and turn UAC off.Bern

>I would think that having a cache would mean textures>for an area you have been through before or have frequented>would load right away, like default FSX textures. Well, that's basically how the 'TileProxy Photoreal World" folder works, expept that TileProxy uses FS9-style textures. The individual service cache folders work differently: They simply store the downloaded jpeg files, just like your browser's cache. When you revisit an area, TileProxy still has to convert these jpegs from the cache to proper FS9 textures. It just doesn't have to redownload them from the server, saving bandwith, server load, and, most importantly, time.To make sure your cache works as expected, you might want to try switching TileProxy to offline mode temporarily (via the ini file). If you still see photo scenery, it works.