Sign in to follow this  
Guest sstobbe

Is it possible to edit TP coastlines?

Guest sstobbe

I am recreating all of the aerodromes in British Columbia, Canada to match TP photoscenery correctly. For dock areas of water aerodromes I am finding that the coastline (while much better than FSX default) doesn't always match the photograph perfectly. Is there any way to edit TP coastlines? Using Sbuilder seems to affect FSX default coastlines only.Thanks, Steve

Guest cbuchner1

Get an image viewer/converter that can read BIE files. BIE files are stored in Bilevel IEC/ITU-T/ISO Format (also known as JBIG) - in other words: A huge monochrome FAX image of 4096 pixels squared. ;)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JBIGI found that MegaView with the extra plugins download from their website will show the files nicely. Not sure about conversion and re-export though. After exporting you can edit them as 1 bit BMP files (black and white bitmaps) and re-save as JBIG.The good news is that there is a free JBIG library libjbig that has a clean and nice API so that you could program your own importer/exporter with a few lines of C/C++ code.I would be very interested in corrected coast lines for specific regions of interest. Sometimes the NASA water masks have sizeable areas of broken and plain incorrect coverage.Christian

Guest sstobbe

Not sure I got everything, but essentially you said to open the relevent .bie quads in the "LWM" subfolder of Tileproxy Photoreal World, using a jbig reader, then convert to .bmp, edit the coastlines, convert back to .bie and replace in LWM folder.I will play around with it, and when BC is done, I can help you out with editing some areas- let me know where. My programming knowledge is sufficient for me to know that C++ is a programming language; that's about as far as it goes.

Guest cbuchner1

One more thing, the land-water mask quads all span 1 degree latitude and longitude and the filename notation is pretty straightforward. It should be easy to find the correct quad for BC by taking the aircraft location in Degrees W and N and finding the matching BIE file.

Guest sstobbe

Thanks for the information, Christian.Using the freeware program, Xnview (with a plugin for jbig files), I was able to open a .bie file and convert to .bmp, edit in Photoshop, then use Xnview to convert back to .bie. I was not able to see the change to the water mask until I erased all of the scenery and texture files for the area and reinstalled TileProxy, however.Is there a quicker way to see the results of the .bie edit? Would help as editing the coastline involves some trial and error.

Guest cbuchner1

"Cleanup World Folder" should do the trick. It erases all the BMP tiles, each of which is the end product of combining water mask and the JPG tiles downloaded from the services.Christian