Sign in to follow this  
STUART_H

Some questions from a newbie.

Having seen recent screenshots using TileProxy I am tempted to give it a try, however I am concerned by 2 things:1. The amount of diskspace that converted bmps take up, as I understand that this can quickly grow. Is there someway of not storing permanently on disk, so that once passed an area they are removed?2. I am currently battling with my system and FSX settings to ensure that texture loading keeps up with the aircraft. When using VFR Photographic Scenery for the UK (the FS2004 version) not GenX, and flying at 80-100 knots in the default Cessna, I find that after several minutes (10-15) the scenery becomes less defined and begins to blur. From what I have read, this could also be a potential issue with TileProxy.My system is NOT state-of-the-art, being SingleCore AMD Athlon 2.4 mhz, 2 GIG DDR RAM, Nvidia 7600GT 256MB RAM graphics card. 2 hard drives (1x120GB with 26GB space and 1x120 containing FSX with 76GB space).Can anyone suggest, given my above hardware, whether it would be worth my while trying TileProxy and if so could suggest which settings I should adjust - either in FSX.cfg or within the ProxyTile.iniRegards,Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Guest cbuchner1

1.)I was considering adding such a feature (i.e. disk quota), but it's not there yet. Also it requires tracking of all generated files, which may get out of sync whenever Tileproxy crashes. So there is a little bit of thought that has to go into this indexing system.2.) It's mostly about making sure you've got 400-500 TPS during flight. Did you lock your frame rates at somewhere between 15-20? That would bring up the TPS somewhat. Also the higher you set your FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION the higher the TPS will go, again at the expense of frame rate.

Christian,Many thanks for your prompt reply. A further couple of questions before I delve into trying TileProxy, sorry about that.A) Given that suggestion 1. is still "work in concept", could you give me some idea as to the amount of disk space that would be required to store converted tiles (assuming ini set to LOD14 or LOD15) if one was to be flying in a straight line for say 100 km?I only ask because I am concerned about loosing too much disk space.:( Also, once downloaded jpegs have been converted to bmp tiles, does TileProxy reuse those if flying in the same area again, or does it always reperform the download and conversion?:( You mention that ensuring texture loding is at around 400-500 tps would help to eliminate slow texture loading. I shall try the suggestions you make. However, in looking in the TileProxy user guide, there is table that gives average tps per cpu type, and for a single AMD Athlon cpu (like mine) expected tps is below 200 and the performance rating is poor. Therefore, perhaps it is not worth my while spending time exploring TP until I have been able to upgrade my hardwhere - is that a fair statement?Does anyone have experience with trying TileProxy on a similar system to mine (see my spec in initial post).Apologies for constantly asking question, but I don't want to waste valuable time trying TP, if my machine h/w is not upto the task.Regards,Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

>When using VFR Photographic Scenery for the UK (the FS2004 version)>not GenX, and flying at 80-100 knots in the default Cessna, I>find that after several minutes (10-15) the scenery becomes>less defined and begins to blur. From what I have read, this>could also be a potential issue with TileProxy.Since TileProxy creates FS9-style scenery, it is indeed prone to the blurries. But in my experience, you will see less blurring with TileProxy than with ordinary FS9 photo sceneries, due to the various speedups Christian has implemented in the latest version. For example, TileProxy will already hold most of the relevant textures in memory by the time FSX tries to access them, so the delay of waiting for the hard disc is mostly eliminated.>A) Given that suggestion 1. is still "work in concept", could>you give me some idea as to the amount of disk space that>would be required to store converted tiles (assuming ini set>to LOD14 or LOD15) if one was to be flying in a straight line>for say 100 km?For reference, my TileProxy Photoreal Scenery folder (where the finished textures are stored) is 1.8 GB, and my TileProxy cache folder (where the raw images are stored) is 3.4 GB. If memory serves me right, this is after a couple of short test flights criss-crossing over the area around Orlando, Fl, and up and down the east coast a few dozens of miles. However, I have set my LOD radius to 6.5 (default 'large' setting is 4.5), and I experimented with massive level remapping (where TileProxy is made to download higher resolution images than would be needed, in order to avoid grainy and color-casted satellite images). So, yes, these folder get huge over time, but keep in mind that you can always clean them up with two easy to use utilities if you run out of space.>:( Also, once downloaded jpegs have been converted to bmp>tiles, does TileProxy reuse those if flying in the same area>again?Yes, as long as you don't clean the folders up.

Arista,Many thanks for your experiences.Guess the only way I shall know whether my setup can cope is to give it a try.BTW what were the "two easy to use utilities" that your referred to in order to clean up the folders?Thanks again,Cheers,Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Guest cbuchner1

"Service Cache Browser" and "Cleanup World Folder", both linked to from the Tileproxy Start menu. The latter is just a shell script that deletes BMP textures whereas the first one is more of a little GUI app that was thrown together in 3 days. It shows the contents of your JPEG caches and allows you to selectively erase unwanted areas out of there.