Sign in to follow this  
Bman2006

Tileproxy + Newbie Questions

Morning all- For starters wow! I came across a few screenshots on flightsimworld.com and thought "that looks cool but what about autogen". However, I decided why not give it a go as it looks fairly non-invasive . So, 30 minutes of light reading - 5 minutes of set up and away we went.Everything works great and I haven't had a problem. However, I do have a couple of questions:1) If anyone is a frequent user of Tileproxy, has the time and an instant messenger, please contact me at fly-bman2006@hotmail.com or vanepo2001@yahoo.com. I have some general questions that could probably be dealt better 1 on 1. It seems every time I hit the sky I come up with another one.2) I see some screenshots that folks have posted where all of there tiles are fully developed and loaded. I run into issues where the tiles are loaded but sometime they have had only one or two passes on the resolution - so 1/2 my tiles are crisp and the other half are blurry.I am on FSX running e6600 / 4gb ram / 8800 gts 640 and overclocked to 3.3ghz. My question is what can I do to get all of the tiles to load up fully? What is the number one .ini line or fsx.cfg that determines how these are loaded up?3) Does sitting on the runway without moving allow for more tiles to be fully rendered or is it once you are sitting on the runway everything is as loaded as it is going to get with in the vicinity of the aircraft.4) I have been messing around with the level mapping but I am not sure I am doing more good than harm. Again, I am trying to get everything fully loaded before I take to the sky - is anyone else messing around with level mapping? 5) I have reverted back to my original FSX.cfg file bases on flying with autgen on the occasion. What is the most critical change in the TP FSX.cfg that I should carry over? A lot of the tweaks listed in the newbie guide appear to be somewhat of carry overs from when FSX first came out. However, since I have reverted back to my original .cfg file I would like to implement the critical TP .cfg items. Texture Bandwidth? Bufferpools? I heard that the Fiber Frame Time Fraction isn't that critical with multicore cpus.Any rate, that's all for now. Thanks in advance for the help! I am excited to have finally taken the plunge with tileproxy. I am more than amazed!Bman.

Benjamin Van Eps

Guest cbuchner1

Umm... if tiles aren't fully loaded when the flight commences, I suspect some program may be interfering. Disable (possibly even try uninstalling) any antivirus or antispyware tools, as these often hook into the file system just like Tileproxy.Tileproxy may become confused because the Antivirus software may change the read patterns that TP observes. From those read patterns I deduce the required resolution for each tile. So if the resolutions look wacky, some other software may be the culprit.Christian

Hey Christian - thanks for the efforts on this project. Super cool!I don't think I explained very well. Everything is working great and all tiles are loaded but it appears that some of the tiles are not at their fullest resolution (even when directly below). It's as if they are changing resolution at random.I don't use a anti-virus or firewall apps.See the attached images.1 - Notice to the left of the plane - the rendering is much brighter for some of the tiles. After about 5 minutes or so some of those tiles changes to the same resolution as to the right of the plane.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/189931.jpg2- Tiles left of the plane are final resolution to the right, not clear yethttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/189932.jpg3- See tiles up north - the color is out of whack. However when I go to Flash Earth and look at this service everything appears very clear and the same color.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/189933.jpg4 - Those are the colors from a closer range.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/189934.jpgAny rate, again - killer work. Really fun to explore.Benjamin

Benjamin Van Eps

Hey Benjamin,My guess is that:One thing that does happen is that tiles are loading in at different resolutions (of course, because you are at different distances from different land tiles at any one given moment), so in some services in some places ... the quality, LIGHTING, and even color can VARY greatly even between, say, the 4m, 2m, and 1m res tiles loading in. And, sometimes, it seems random how the tiles first start loading around you. It may start towards the left side and work around. Conversely, the tiles on the left may be the last to load in at the highest (or higher) res. Thus, I notice sometimes I get different looking tiles even somewhat close by. It is really even more common at the distance where the very lower res may actually be satellite data instead of aerial.If the visuals are too disjunct, then I sometimes just change to a different service.

Thanks for the info. I am still having a lot of fun messing around with these settings and .ini files. I think you have hit it right on the head. I don't think there is anything wrong with the setup just a matter of where the tiles are coming from (service wise) how fast they are coming in, what altitude I am flying etc.I have been having good luck just changing a service and then refreshing the scenery.Thanks again-Benjamin (Bman.)

Benjamin Van Eps