Sign in to follow this  
Guest GREENGRASS

cache folders?

Guest GREENGRASS

HiIhave just completed a flight and the cache folder seems to be full,in order to build a library of my flights to use offline do i now have to rename this folder so a new cache folder can be created for the next flight,is this the way it works?I AM 77 years old and this wonderfull program alows me to jump into my aircraft and explore the world for free,it makes retirement so much more exiting MY THANKS CHRIS DON

Guest GREENGRASS

Thanks BarryI have cache service 1 and cache service 3 folders in my program files microsoft games folder.Cache service 1 contains 999 folders that all contain tiles.Can this now be copied to cd or name change so a new cache folder 1 can be created Don Perth Aust

Hi DonNow this is new territory for me too. I currently have 2 cache folders for Service 2 and 3. Basically, if I fly around an area for a while and then think it is time to move to some other part of the world - I clean out the cache folders using the "Manage cache services" part of the TP programme and also the "Cleanup world folder" part of the TP programme. So, for example, having had a good look around the Capetown South Africa area - I can delete everything relating to that area and move on to somewhere else. Right now, I have been flying around the island of Oahu in Service 3 and the Innsbruck area in Austria in Service 3 . My cache folders for both services are now around 500 megabytes each. I have a feeling that I "could" remove those cache folders and burn them to CD - but I don't really think I need to. I guess if you wanted to continually fly in a favourite area , you could do this and re-insert the saved cache folders at a later time so that you could fly there offline. But personally, I don' thnk this is of much value - because, for me , the world is such a big place that I find that I like to see all kinds of places in TP.But for you - I suggest you transfer those cache folders to somewhere else and when you fly somewhere different it will build up a new cache folder. You could then replace them with the saved ones at a later date. The problem I see with this idea is that it may be difficult to keep track of the different caches that you will build up.Although there IS an offline facility available within TP, I don't think that it is really meant to be used that way.BY the way - there are always 999 folders inside a cache folder, are you sure that EVERY one of them have files in them. That would indicate to me that you have flown everywhere in the world! :-) Barry

Guest GREENGRASS

Thanks for the reply BarryI did try renaming the first cache1 folder to "cache service1 full" and it created a new cache1 folder so i now have 2folders for cache 1.then when i flew offline it still used the 'service cache1 full folder"It seems that you can retain each cache folder for each flight if you rename them.Although the playback offline is fairly blocky ,so hardly worth the effort.The cache folder i said was full was only for a two hour flight and all 999 folders were used.Happy flying DON

Don, is there a reason why you don't want to just continue using your 'old' cache folder? That's what I do - just accumulate everything into one big cache (well, 4, actually - one for each service, of course). That way, I don't have to worry about keeping track of which area of the world is in which cache. When I come back to a place I have already visited, the tiles are already there. From time to time, when I think the cache is becoming to big, I purge the really old tiles, or tiles from an area I don't intend to visit again, using the ServiceCacheBrowser.Barry, I don't think that the subfolders within the cache folder are specific to geografic regions. If Christian is any wise (and I'm sure he is), he has created a system that uses most, if not all, the folders at the same time, regardless of the area you fly over. Because that's the most efficient way to handle such a cache.

Guest GREENGRASS

Hello AristaMy thanks for your explanation,i was it seems wrongly under the impression that after a flight was closed ,and a new one began the old tiles within the sub folders were replaced with the new ones .being flown.Keeping the old cache file's renamed'seperated each flight to its own cache folder,tile proxy then find's and identifies aflight for offline reflights.I havent yet gone deep enough into it but the quality off offline play hardly is worth the effort.cheers Don

Guest flyalot

>Barry, I don't think that the subfolders within the cache>folder are specific to geografic regions. If Christian is any>wise (and I'm sure he is), he has created a system that uses>most, if not all, the folders at the same time, regardless of>the area you fly over. Because that's the most efficient way>to handle such a cache.These folders help to avoid that the program has to deal with possibly 100,000+ files in a single folder. That would cause a substantial slowdown. Spreading all the files over 1000 subfolders brings down the number of files in a single folder to a more reasonable number.The folder number is kind of random for the human eye. But if you know which file you are searching, you are able to calculate this number (a "hash code") and get the file you want in that folder (or find out the file doesn't exist yet and needs to be downloaded).