Sign in to follow this  
Guest vonduck1

Autogen (again!)

Guest vonduck1

HI folks - new here!Just tried Tileproxy and am very impressed. I must admit i had to jump the mental hurdle of 'no autogen' but the trade off was just great. Living in NZ where it is green all the time, the FSX default textures sucked basically! Now with Tileproxy, the land is green as it should be.Admittedly the data is not as high res as some other parts of the world but never the less it does the job!I did notice though that some cities like Auckland and Wellington have a few autogen building in them. Why is that? The autogen fix looks to complex for me but was wondering if Tileproxy could use something like this as a supplier of data?http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=4...DVDOEYxMyE5OTQ=It has 3d images in main cities that look quite good!Thanks for the great program!RegardsDOug

DougWhat you are seeing is not autogen - but scenery placed in different places. You will possibly notice that the scenery you are seeing is a little like that in real life - maybe a racecourse in the right place or a sports stadium, things like those.I am going on a cruise to NZ ports from Brisbane next year - I have flown around the various ports I will visit (using TP) and it is very interesting. Frankly, now that I have used TP a lot, I can do without the cartoonish autogen completely :-) Barry

Guest vonduck1

>Doug>>What you are seeing is not autogen - but scenery placed in>different places. You will possibly notice that the scenery>you are seeing is a little like that in real life - maybe a>racecourse in the right place or a sports stadium, things like>those.>>I am going on a cruise to NZ ports from Brisbane next year - I>have flown around the various ports I will visit (using TP)>and it is very interesting. Frankly, now that I have used TP a>lot, I can do without the cartoonish autogen completely :-) >>BarryHI there Barry - you're exactly right mate! Didn't realize there was a difference! Wow -after all these years of simming ya still learn something new eh!I agree about doing away with the cartooninsh autogen. I flew (in a 737 at FL180) from Auckland to wellington and the tiles had no problem keeping up. NZ looked great and didn't miss any autogen as to high to see it anyways! Interestingly my airport runway and taxiway textures are a little shimmery. I have the Nvidia Negative LOD bias set to clamp but was wondering if anything else may help? As you can appreciate i am still hunting for the perfect settings!Just out of curiosity, what LOD do you use? I am using the FSX default 1.1m. Not sure if i should change this? My system specs areIntel Quad 9300 - 4 gig ram - GF8800GTS 512meg - etc etcCheers for the reply Barry and hope you enjoy the cruise!DOug

I use default 1.1M FSx texture size - it sems to be a good compromise for me . I have yet to figure out a way of determining (before a flight in an area) what texture sizes are available for that area. If you set the LOD for 60cm, you can see after you complete the flight whereabouts you were successful in downloading the higher res textures (via the "Manage Service Caches" programme in the TP menu)Barry

Barry,you probably know this but if you have set fsx config and TP ini to pre-load AND have a default flight set for the target area you can get a 'full charge' of imagery BEFORE you even select "load Flight" and you can see these tiles in the "manager" at that time. Actually you can see whatever is there before the full set is load/downloaded. If the area doesn't have the LOD that you want, go somewhere else.But more to your point, I think if you compare the tiles you have from specific areas with the online view (and scale) you'll learn to recognise the level of imagery you are looking at. I can certainly tell when zooming in or out that the resolution of the source imagery has changed. Maybe we wouldn't be sure that it changed from 10 to 12 instead of 10 to 11 but practice always helps. Did you ever happen to grab a screenshot when the browser image has a hole from a missing tile? wouldn't comparing the gap to the scale give you an idea of the tile size and resolution you were viewing? One of the services also displays a zoom level in the address bar of the browser and it might be comparable to the scenery tiles... Loyd