Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbuchner1

Putting NASA Blue Marble into outermost LOD 8 ring

Guest cbuchner1

Hi, I am considering to place a NASA Blue marble image into an FSX photoscenery BGL which covers the outermost (LOD 8) level.The blue marble image has 500m/pixel resolution, it is not a perfect fit, but close. The intended effect is that Tileproxy no longer has to serve the LOD 8 detail level, which requires individual 1024 BMP files to produce a single LOD 8 terrain tile.Instead you could increase the LOD radius to medium or high while still maintaining good loading speeds for Tileproxy. The outermost photoscenery ring is taken from the BGL which is a much faster process.The limited resource of "tiles per second" is then spent on higher resolution tiles, which would greatly increase the speed at which you may be flying without outrunning the scenery.Sounds good? I'll be testing this.Christian

Christian,I think your efforts in this direction will be MUCH appreciated. Thanks for your time and dedication. The view out to the horizon (LOD9) from 25000' is truely awesome!Loyd

Guest cbuchner1

I have downloaded the "July" Blue Marble image from Nasa which is made up of 8 segments of 21600x21600 pixels. This is going to provide a LOD 8 photo scenery layer - still much worse in resolution than what the commercial "FS Altitude" package has to offer.I am also throwing in some coarse water masks and city night lights.The simplified world model that FSX renders outside of the detailed scenery area is actually the same NASA Blue Marble image, covering 12 months of the year, including water masks plus the famous "Night lights of the world" image for night rendering. But Microsoft provide only up to LOD 5 detail level.I am currently having 8 CPU cores on 3 computers crunch this source data into several scenery BGLs at LOD 8. One thing that worries me is that it may be several hundred megabytes in size. So there is currently no way that this data can be provided with seasons. ;)Also the polar ice cap is missing in the NASA image. Microsoft must have used Photoshop and added it by hand. You will have to live without a polar ice cap in my version. Global warming and such....Christian