Sign in to follow this  
Truthan

A TileProxy "Quick Guide"

For new users, here is a brief "Quick Guide" tutorial to getting started in TileProxy: www.edtruthan.com/tileproxy/tutorialIt's HIGHLY recommended that all users take the time to read the TP MANUAL in it's entirety. Many answers to basic questions posed here in the forum may be found there, and you'll find out everything you wanted to know about TP and more. Here's an online version with handy "Quick Links" at the top of the page to jump to topics you might need to quickly access: www.edtruthan.com/tileproxy/manual.htmMany thanks from all of us in the global Flightsim community to TP author Christian Buchner for his tireless dedication to TP."We finally have a REAL Earth to fly...."Happy Landings,-Ed Truthan

• Upvote 2

"We shall not cease from exploration...

and the end of all our exploring...

will be to arrive where we started...

and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Guest cbuchner1

Thank you for providing the tutorial in the first place, and once more for keeping it updated.I'll pin this thread to the top so it can be used as a reference.

Hello - and thank you for the TP guide - A couple of things (well more than that really) that I don't understand and maybe you could shed some light

In all of the 'ini' files I have seen the statement shown here as example has '14' repeated 3 times - May I ask why ?

level_mapping=5,6,7,8,9,10,11,14,14,14,15,16,17,18,19

Many thanks - Pete

Pete, you're unlikely to get an answer on a 4.5 year old thread!

This is how I understand it; in the map server definition you have 3 fields related to level mapping:

min_level=5

max_level=19

min_level is the lowest resolution tiles you want to use (that are by default furthest from the aircraft), max_level is the highest resolution tiles you want to use (by default the nearest tiles to the aircraft). In the example above we are saying that we want 5 in the tiles furthest tiles from the aircraft, which is something like 9728m per pixel (and therefore probably useless!) and 19 nearest (ie under and directly around) the aircraft, which is a far more sensible (but very high) resolution of 30cm per pixel. Where the level_mapping comes in is defining the resolution of the tiles that come in between the ones nearest the aircraft (@19) and those furthest from the aircraft (@5). The quantity (number) of values in this list must be max_level + 1 minus min_level - in this case 20 minus 5 = 15. By default this list would be:

level_mapping=5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19

This means; nearest tiles to aircraft to be at 30cm per pixel (19), the next nearest at 60cm per pixel (18), the next nearest at 1.2m per pixel (17), the next nearest at 2.4m per pixel (16), the next nearest at 4.7m per pixel (15), the next nearest at 9.5m per pixel (14), the next nearest at 19m per pixel (13), the next nearest at 76m per pixel (12) etc etc. What doing this means:

Is that where it would have done 12 and 13 at their respective resolutions (19m and 76m) you would like it to substitute in the resolution of 14 (9.5m). Therefore you will get a large area at 9.5m per pixel and then straight to 152m per pixel instead of gradually going 9.5m, 19m, 76m, 152m. So, for instance, if you wanted a large area around your aircraft of very high resolution scenery your level mapping might look like this:

level_mapping=5,6,7,8,9,10,11,14,14,14,16,18,19,19,19

But obviously you would need a very fast internet connection to keep up with that amount of 30cm photoscenery! Hope that's clear - if it's not then have a look at this:

http://www.edtruthan...velmapping.html

I learned to tweak my level mapping so that I had resolutions appropriate for the type of flying I was doing.

Hi, Ed,

Many thanks four your contribution to the TP community.  Now you will find here an english version of my small Tileproxy french guide : http://tileproxy.eklablog.com/tileproxy-guide-english-version-a125263210

Do not hesitate to make comments. Regards. Pat

Patrice Garret
Tileproxy  Guide & Support - English & Français : http://tileproxy.eklablog.com