Sign in to follow this  
spesimen

stumped by beta 8

hi, i tried tileproxy version 7 earlier this year and had some decent results but didn't really use it regularly since i think my machine is a bit slow for it, i was very intrigued about the changes in beta 8 as possibly improving that so i installed the new one. for starters i put ed t's ini file in there, modified the directories to point to my folders, start tileproxy, then fsx (checked LOD scenery layer is below the others) and let 'er rip.it seems like the driver itself is working, but when i fly i basically only see the "photoreal globe" texture and a few tiles with what looks like smaller versions of that texture. the tileproxy dos window never switches to showing the grid of which tiles are loading and my cache folders stay empty. it seems like for whatever reason it is just never even trying to download textures at all.i turned on the logging function but the logfile only gets touched and never has any text added to it. i don't see any other error messages about connection problems or anything else.i'm a bit stumped about what to try next. are there limits to where the files can be located? my current structures look like this:E:tileproxyfilesworldTileProxy Photoreal World i can see the entries in the scenery.cfg pointing there and i believe it is working correctly in that regard because i see a the low-res texture everywhere when i fly.my cache folder is:E:tileproxyfilescacheservice3and the entry in the ini file reads:cache_folder=E:tileproxyfilescacheservice3the log window in tileproxy shows:proxyUser: TileProxy is ready for takeoff.proxyUser: Connected to Flight Simulator X!proxyUser: FSX process name assumed DeviceHarddiskVolume2afsxfsx.exeProxyUser: FSX LOD radius is 4.500000proxyUser: Coordinates from default flight file: Lat=48.501975 Lon=-123.010983 Hdg=-2.4FSX Service Pack 1 (or higher) Detected!proxyUser: Simulation Initial State: STOPPED!proxyUser: Aircraft Position was Changed!proxyUser: Simulation Started!proxyUser: Simulation Initial State: RUNNING!proxyUser: Simulation Stopped!proxyUser: Simulation Initial State: STOPPED!proxyUser: Simulation Started!proxyUser: Simulation Initial State: RUNNING!well, if anyone has an idea of what else i can try i would appreciate it. i checked most of the things in the FAQ (no virus, firewall, etc) and none of them seem to apply but i'm sure i'm just missing something simple. beta7 worked pretty well for me but i can't really think of anything i had changed since then. i'm using fsx sp2 in winxp sp3.cheers,-andy crosby

Guest cbuchner1

When starting TP in the DOS box, does it indicate to which drive the filter driver is being attached to? This should say E: somewhere in the process.The connection to FSX through SimConnect seems OK, as it is receiving events regarding the simulation state. But really the programm should show the LOD rings as soon as it knows the aircraft position. This is indeed strange.Christian

hi christian,here is the complete dos window output (i bleeped out the url). i should mention the version i am using seems dated nov16, it is downloaded from sourceforge earlier today..anyway it looks like the 'world' entry points to the disk where i added the scenery and cache files (E: drive) and the FSX entry points to the D: where my fsx directory is installed. i thought about other possible changes i had done for a bit, and i remembered that i did reinstall fsx on the D: drive earlier this summer, while it was on my C: drive back when i tried tileproxy 7... however, my fsx dir was also in a non-default spot then, and i had used a similar configuration where the tileproxy cache files were on the e drive so i don't think it's that different of a setup.. my other fsx stuff works ok so i'm somewhat sure all the relevant registry entries are up-to-date but it seems likely that's where something is amiss.. i'm just not sure what error messages to look for..anyway here's the log... D:afsxTileproxy>proxyuser.exeproxyUser: World DeviceHarddiskVolume3 ===> E:proxyUser: FSX DeviceHarddiskVolume2 ===> D:proxyUser: Connecting to the filterproxyUser: Tileproxy communication with filter driver established.TileAPI: Using network module 'libnettile'TileAPI: Network configuration 'conn=20|rate=2.0|verbose=0|server=http://us.maps3.y***.**m|path=/aerial.maps.y***.**m/img?x=%x&y=%y&z=%z&v=%v&t=a|useragent=Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)'TileAPI: Service name is 'Service Example 3'TileAPI: Using cache folder 'E:tileproxyfilescacheservice3'TileAPI: Map version is '1.8'proxyUser: Configuration summary master_enable=1 diskless_mode=0 logfile=C:logfile.txt enable_hooking=0 enable_dx9hook=0 offline_mode=0 menu_sources=Service Example 1|Service Example 2|Service Example 3|Service Example 4 source=Service Example 3 max_contexts=512 preload=1023 network module=libnettile module configuration=conn=20|rate=2.0|verbose=0|server=http://us.maps3.y***.**m|path=/aerial.maps.y***.**m/img?x=%x&y=%y&z=%z&v=%v&t=a|useragent=Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; .NET CLR 1.1.4322) max_lod=15 (1024x1024 tiles) preload_min_lod=9 preload_max_lod=15 min_level=5 max_level=17 color_hack=0 color_level=0 bulk_extend=50 level_mapping=Not activated map_version=1.8 water_mask=On water_smoothing=Off water_threshold=0.330000 water_blending=On blend_distance=500.000000 blend_exponent=1.000000 alpha_min=0.267800 alpha_max=0.700000 water_rgb=#000d1a enable_movingmap=0 (alpha=255, color=#ff000000 x,y,w,h=88.0% 15.0% 60.0% 80.0%, r=60)proxyUser: TileProxy is ready for takeoff.well, maybe something enlightening is in there? i can try to install version7 again to see if i get back to having it working as a baseline, i think i have that installer laying around...anyway thanks for working on this program it is a sensational concept for flight simming. the google drama only goes to show that they don't have somebody on staff that knows how deep the flight sim crowd wants to get hehe. which is crazy since the CEOs have awesome airplanes and you know they dig that stuff. they should just license this tech and combine it with a fixed photoreal base like the fs altitude for long range and buy xplane for their physics, leveld and pmdg for operational stuff, and give microsoft a run for their money on the sim front lol..also, concerning recent threads about creating night or seasonal textures, the fsearthtiles program uses an open-source program called something like fsearthmasks which they use to dynamically create night and seasonal textures from map source data, i believe they use a cellular automata type of approach rather than attempting to detect intersections etc., and it has very good results! but i think might be a bit cpu hungry to do on the fly, the pre-processing of a large chunk of my home state of michigan took several hours. a vfr flight across the state takes that long too so maybe it's not so bad, i haven't done any empirical studies of the times involved, might be worth a look though if you are curious. perhaps their techniques could be optimized if it only has to do either night/day and one season instead of all the combinations for sure.. anyway that's a different story.. cheers,-andy crosby

oh, here is a screenshot of what the driver is doing also.it seems like since it can't find downloaded textures it is just substituting ones that are from the global texture?20081124182824921rj0.pngcheers,-andy crosby

Guest cbuchner1

this looks like the BMP files are not found by FSX.Tileproxy doesn't seem to provide them because the filter driver is unable to intercept the I/O on your system. I have no idea why.Just to make sure: your FSX executable is actually called FSX.exe? Renaming it might break some things...

hello,well it turns out my executable was named "fsx.exe" and not "FSX.exe". (how or why that changed i have no idea lol) ...setting it to all caps that sort of helped in terms of the tileproxy window now gets busy and starts showing which tiles are loaded again. i can see newly created bmp files in the photoreal world directory and jpgs in the cache directories so i think it's at least trying to create the scenery. however, the tiles accessed count stays at 0 and the tps also, and i still see what basically looks like random blocks of a globe texture like before.i tried reinstalling to a different path but that didn't seem to change anything, next i guess is to try a different drive altogether. i think i still have the version 7 installer i could try that too since it worked back in the day. anyway i attached the error log from my last test.cheers,-andy crosby

Guest cbuchner1

in theory caps should make no difference. Renaming it to myflightsim.exe would definitely break things.Same applies to the "Tileproxy Photoreal World" folder. I deliberately picked quite a long and unique name so that I could go look for that very name in the driver. I wanted to avoid affecting other applications in other folders. A few people have tried to rename that folder - and Tileproxy no longer worked for them. The location of that folder on the drive should not matter though.

Guest cbuchner1

Oh great. I am now having the same issue on one of my 3 PCs. This is with a yet unreleased Tileproxy version. Preloading works but the "Hit" counter stays 0.Chances are good that I can find the root cause of this failure and fix it in the next release.UPDATE: ok, maybe not. After a reboot the problem went away. If I can't reproduce it, I can't fix it unfortunately.Christian