Sign in to follow this  
Guest pdrgnn

JPEG decoding problem

Guest pdrgnn

Hi,flying with Service 3, it happens frequently to get the message: "JPEG decoding problem at level 14, .... numbers.... len = 4914".Can this affect the scenery? if yes, Is there anything we can do?Best regardsciaoGiovanni

Guest cbuchner1

Ah, now I remember why I had commented out that message. ;)The server is giving you PNGs instead of JPEGs when it doesn't offer the requested particular resolution at a given location. No harm to the scenery.

I am happy that the question was asked :-) - because I have also been getting those messages from Service 3.Actually, lately I have been using Service 1 quite a lot with success.I just wish there was some kind of map that showed where high res textures are available for the different services. What you see on websites like "Flash Earth" and what you actually get in TP often seem to be 2 different things x( Barry

Guest cbuchner1

Use a hex editor, Find that message within proxyuser_sp1.dll and place a null byte over the "J" of the JPEG decoding problem...Silence...

Guest jdeane

I am also finding that Service 3, which is really good in the USA, is very poor in Europe, fine in Australia etc - i.e. quite variable. Things such as SE France being beautiful and detailed, while SW France is blotchy and undetailed, because of the dreaded JPEG decoding error. And I can't get hires detail in Switzerland either - just blotches and blocks of colour. Service 1 seems very slow, and with unnatural colouring, and Service 4 is also very slow and not very good (in Europe). So my question is whether anyone is aware of alternative map services, especially for France/Germany/Austria etc, which give hires detail? Overall this last version of TP is just so much better than the previous one, and when it works well (as in the US) - then WOW it is marvellous. Jeremy

Guest TOBS
I am also finding that Service 3, which is really good in the USA, is very poor in Europe, fine in Australia etc - i.e. quite variable. Things such as SE France being beautiful and detailed, while SW France is blotchy and undetailed, because of the dreaded JPEG decoding error. And I can't get hires detail in Switzerland either - just blotches and blocks of colour. Service 1 seems very slow, and with unnatural colouring, and Service 4 is also very slow and not very good (in Europe). So my question is whether anyone is aware of alternative map services, especially for France/Germany/Austria etc, which give hires detail? Overall this last version of TP is just so much better than the previous one, and when it works well (as in the US) - then WOW it is marvellous. Jeremy
I am not sure but I think the well known G server has changed something drastically. I am quite sure that I cannot get maps anymore from this server. I heard they changed their coding and that the app we are using has to be changed. thats a pitty because germany and switzerland has been there very high detailed on this server. with the others server I am not so happy in those areas. if somebody knows more - please tell. I would be happy if I am wrong!!!cheers TOBS

I am not sure but I think the well known G server has changed something drastically. I am quite sure that I cannot get maps anymore from this server. I heard they changed their coding and that the app we are using has to be changed. thats a pitty because germany and switzerland has been there very high detailed on this server. with the others server I am not so happy in those areas. if somebody knows more - please tell. I would be happy if I am wrong!!!cheers TOBS
Per Cristian ........ Google Inc. kindly (but authoritatively) asked to block access to any server in the domain *.google.com from the Tileproxy application. In return for my cooperation I was offered a free T-Shirt which I considered to be the better deal - as opposed to a lawsuit. Let me stress that Google was very forthcoming in this matter and contact with me was established by their engineering department - not the legal department.

Guest jdeane

Just to correct my previous posting - I am now having great results from Service 1 in Europe - all over but especially having fun in the Alps. Don't know why it wouldn't load as well before, but it is now great, and the colouring is fine. Service 3 still the best for USA - and loads a little faster too. Jeremy