Sign in to follow this  
pilotguy365

Problem with Assignments for Tiller

Hello everyone,I don't know who to address properly for problems with FS2Crew in this forum and for that I apologize. I would like to state, however, (before I reveal my problem in words) that FS2Crew is the greatest add-on to an add-on. The milieu the FS2Crew program provides is simply unsurpassed and very authentic and I can never find myself bored or rid of it. :) However, in order that I might use the tiller I have recently (30 min ago) tried to assign keys to the Decision Height Increase and Decision Height Decrease to no avail. I assigned Num 4 and Num 6 to each respectively and when I press num 4 or num 6 the only result is that view in the VC turns. I thought perhaps that meant the tiller was only for the 2D panel, but even so when I try num 4 or 6 in the 2D panel it simply looks left and right concordantly. I am at a loss and I've nothing else to look to for help other than the support here in this forum? Any help would be greatly appreciated.Regards,Tony N.

Hi Tony,I'm glad to hear you like FS2Crew. Do help spread the word.To answer your question, you would need to delete the pre-existing FS events that are already assigned to num 4 or num 6 (namely, the look left/right commands).Personally, I use the left and right arrow key for the Tiller. Works great for me. But as always make sure you delete any other events that may be assigned to those keys.Cheers,Bryan

Ah!I thank you for your quick reply! I tried to remove the assignments and then "assign new key" and that in itself did not warrant any result. Would it be best to change a key and then exit and restart FSX? I've never had a problem with changing keys before. In fact, every time I have ever had to reinstall FSX I've never had any problem with replacing keys for landing gear and auto pilot disconnects and what not. I tried your suggestion and it did not work. I will go and try the arrow keys though. I'll report back shortly.Thanks,Tony N.

Alrighty,I'm back with a status report. I've changed the keys again just like you said and also just like any other time I've changed the keys. FSX reports the "Num 4 and Num 6" keys as being the keys for Decision Height Increase and Decrease. When I try the arrow keys they don't bank the plane in flight which is a good sign becuase that means they are assigned to the Decision Height. However, I just ran FS2Crew again all the way up to Before Takeoff Checklists and tried taxiing with the tiller and my newly set keys with no result. The tiller just sits there. I've tried clicking on the tiller in hopes that it wasn't active sometimes like the FSX default ATC window gets (I hope that made sense?). I think I'll just totally reinstall FSX and then SP1 follow it up with a reinstall of the 767 with its new Sp1 and then FS2Crew and see how that goes unless y'all have any suggestions :) I'll wait to hear back though before I go screwing anything else up :)Thanks,Tony N.

Hi Tony,Num Lock on or off?Again, personally I wouldn't use the numeric keypad for the Tiller.Try re-assigning Decision height to a totally different set of keys just for test purposes, such as N or M. Be sure to check for duplicate, pre-existing assignments.Also, the Tiller panel needs to be opened at least once in order for the Tiller to function.There is no need to re-install FSX.Cheers,Bryan

Forgive me for this very stupid question but what exactly is this Tiller :) ?

Richard Åsberg

OK, and maybe an equally stupid question but when would you use that IRL/in FSX?Then another totally different question and I also posted this one in a separate thread - is it possible and if yes how to quit FS2Crew once it has been started?Best,

Richard Åsberg

Not sure I still understand during what phase of the taxi you would need this tiller but thanks anyway ;)As for stopping FS2Crew, when you say the Main button according to the manual that's what now is called the Green button but do you mean pressing that would quit FS2Crew in the middle of the flight? Wouldn't that rather advance FS2Crew?Maybe I should tell you why I'm wondering this because of course normally you wouldn't want to quit FS2Crew in the middle of a flight. Reason I ask this is if things go really bad with FS2Crew getting totally 'out of sync' but you would still like to be able to complete the flight without beeing interrupted by various callouts from FS2Crew.

Richard Åsberg

Tiller is just for taxiing on the ground. In FS you don't really need it though.Stopping FS2Crew: Main Button (Green Button) same thing :-)You could also not engage Cruise or Descent mode (see manual for more on this).The 767 is fairly hard to break. It would take some effort on the user's part to get it totally out of sync.Cheers,Bryan

OK, thanks Bryan - guess best thing is just to keep using it and have some trial & error time ;)Cheers,

Richard Åsberg