Sign in to follow this  
ronzie

HELP:System Reboot in FS2K2

I am an avid and experienced computer builder and simmer. Just recently began having a problem where my front panel view will lock (other views do not) AI stops moving (through front view only) and at some point my PC reboots, yea...reboots. NEVER saw anything like this before and it only happens in FS! I keep my registry clean, my NTFS HD defragged, FS runs in its own partition, scan for viruses and adway at least weekly, very clean highly tweaked system. Run diagnostics, benchmarks etc.First went conservative in BIOS and backed off my overclock, even though I have been running these settings with FS for 6 months.I thought it might be new Creative Labs drivers (just released) so I backed those out to July 02 and March 02 releases, and man those suckers do not back out well. Even removed SB X-Gamer card and switched to MB on-board sound (Realtek) with no change. Then thought it may be new nvidia drivers (I update my GF4 Ti frequently) so I backed those all the way back to 30.82 (stable) and I use driver cleaners and remove the hardware in DM when I back out drivers, no change.Then I did a complete reinstall of FS and add-ons. I run the following: FS2K2, FSAssist (for pushback only), Radar Contact 3.0, Simflyers Scenery, Dream Fleet 737-400, FSMeteo, ADVDisplay and FSUIPC. No change.Now I am down to my recent add-ons done just around the time problems started. Updated to latest versions of FSUIPC and ADVDisp (the new ADVDisp has not been docking properly to my DF panel so I backed off one version with similar problems but I dont have a copy of any older versions as I deleted them). Recently added the following: FSScene USA and Canada Summer textures, Simflyers Toronto (already have most others) and AI from Hacksaws site for Toronto installed with latest version of TTools.I am suspecting ADVDisp but cannot find a pre-February version to test my theory. Any other ideas? Anyone have ADVDisp 3 versions back?FL_FlyerMSI 645 Max-U (SIS 645DX chipset) latest SIS drivers and 5.2 BIOSIntel P4 2.53/533 OCD to 2.8/590 with Intel retail cooler @ 32c idle 40c full load350 watt PS, mid-tower w/ 1 intake 2 exhaust fans (negative pressure) 512 MB DDR 2400 w/ heat spreadersAbit Siluro GF4 Ti 4400 275/550 OCD to 300/600 nvidia 41.09 Drivers & NVHardPage(1280x960x32@85hz, SBA 128MB, Quincunx AA, 2x AF, Aggressive, High)Maxtor 30GB HD ATA 133 32 bit addressing NTFS w/ seperate partition for FS2002SB Live X-Gamer/ Altec Lansing ADA-305 Creative Live Driver Pack 3/03Alcatel USB DSL modem (using USB 2.0) 1146 Kbit dn/221 Kbit up Windows XP Home, SP1, tweaked to minimum services and fixed 1 GB swap, DX9.03D Mark 2001SE - 12,573, SSS 2002 - Dhry 5163 MIPS, Whet 3405 MFLOPS, PR Rating 3.08FS2002 with all sliders maxed all boxes checked, real world weather and AI.DreamFleet 737-400 is only aircraft flown.Simflyers scenery for all airports flown.FSScene and FSMeteo for weather.Radar Contact 3.0 for ATC.Lago FSAssist for pushback.FPS locked at 30, 15 on ground in traffic w/ AI, moving gates/vehicles etc. 24-30 airborn depending on weather, view, altitude, etc. Smooth, realistic and full of eye candy.

You've done a lot of homework.... First question--how does FS2002 run with no add-ons installed? You need to try that scenario before beginning to troubleshoot a specific add-on, might save many headaches. A complete reinstall of FS in this type of scenario should always exclude add-ons, to establish a good baseline for testing...If a baseline install of FS still gives you trouble, I would suspect that heat has fried one or more of your RAM chips. I've seen them pass the best of the testing utilities out there, and still fail when stressed by some of the more intense Windows apps...If, OTH, the baseline install passes with flying colors, then you can focus on your add-ons (and perhaps any add-on that might update data on the fly)...From a fellow part time avid computer builder, and full time WAN admin. :)-John

Oops. Didn't read the post correctly the first time.

There have just been updates for both FSUIPC and ADVDISP at http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.htmlI have had a particular panel instrument cause crashes, probably because of memory leaks. You appear to be having more global problems.Without enabling your add-on utilities, perhaps you could remove and then add one at a time to your modules folder any additional modules such as FSUIPC and ADVDISP to see if your front view crashes without their presence.With all the add-on utilities running, you are probably getting near swap territory and perhaps that may be causing a problem. Some attempted real-time stuff just can't handle any lengthy swap pauses and the task communication pipes overflow causing real nasties.The panel instrument displays run a number of tasks simultaneously so maybe you've just overloaded the system when using the front view. Think perhaps stack overflow, and if you've got a 16 bit app mixed in like the Garmin Trainer, the order of startup task execution I found to be critical.