Sign in to follow this  
trisager

Transition level and altimeter

Hi,In the documentation you mention that it is SOP for the airline that you use as template for the various calls to reset the altimeter when cleared above/below transition level. You don't mention which airline - I suppose you either can't or won't for some good reason - but do you know of any airlines that you can name that use this procedure?Reason I ask is I'm in a discussion with someone who thinks that the altimeter can only ever be reset when passing the transition altitude/level. A couple of names would help me argue my case :)Also, the transition altitude in the Copenhagen area is 5,000 ft and many SIDs have FL07 as initial climb altitude. So when cleared (on the ground) for an initil climb to FL70, do I reset my altimeter to 1013 on the ground if I work for your template airline?Oh, great product btw - and educational too, as you can see from my question :)Thanks,Tom

Hi Tom,I'm glad to hear you like it :-)I'm not supposed to name the airline, but if you checked around a bit it wouldn't be hard to figure out.It's a UK based airline.I asked my consultant about that procedure too when I was coding the 767 version as it seemed weird to me too, but he assured me that's the way they do it at his company. Bear in mind that other operators will do it differently.As for your situation, that's a good question. Maybe if he's watching this forum he can chime in.Cheers,Bryan