Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dominik Mann

Tornado on nostalgia lane

Guest Dominique

Reading the review on Lago's Tornado reminded me how good was in its own time (the early 90's) Digital Integration's combat sim.Realistic navigation and combat avionics and a very well crafted campaign mode underlying a solid gameplay made one of the best sim ever.Pity that they don't take back the core of an old game like that, strip down the outdated graphics and a put new graphics engine ! well, that's useless thoughts isn't it :) ?

Good call DominiqueThat was a great sim!!!They dont make em like that anymorePhil :-)

>Realistic navigation and combat avionics and a very well >crafted campaign mode underlying a solid gameplay made one >of the best sim ever. Very underrated and overlooked sim in its time. Falcon 3.0 got all of the attention, but you're right, Tornado is one of the best ever. What was really a nail biter was an engine out landing at night, with a strong crosswind. Great damage modeling, if you got it wrong ;-)Those was the days.....

Definitely one of the best. Nothing as good as bombs on target, on time.

Guest Dominik Mann

Indeed. This was actually my first PC game ever, and even though I could perhaps not fully appreciate it for what it was at that time (I was about 13 then), I thoroughly enjoyed playing it. In fact, it was probably this game that got me hooked on flight sims. And yes, if they were to do a version 2 with the same good playability and depth of simulation, coupled with Il-2-style visuals, I'd be more than glad to give it a shot! :D

I never got to fly Tornado back in the old days, but I have to stand up in defense of Falcon 3. I -loved- that sim! I can't tell you how many hours I spent planning out elaborate "gorilla" attack packages. While it may not have been as realistic as the ATO system F4 has, F3's dynamic campaign offered a bit more flexibility to the armchair squadron commander.Case in point: I had one mission where I was tasked with taking out a series of SAM sites. Ingress would be relatively quiet, as we basically hugged the terrain. There'd be some small arms fire, but nothing that caused too many headaches. In the hot zone, however, on approach to the target area, we'd get harassed by what seemed to be endless waves of Fulcrums and Foxbats. Half of my guys would end up MIA or KIA, and it seemed like I'd never take out those sites. Then, I poked around the local BBSes (The WWW wasn't around in those days) and found some great guides written by afficianados about organizing flights that could both take out the primary and secondary objectives, as well as any targets of opportunity along the way. So, I assembled what one guide called "The Ultimate Gorilla". I'd worked a few of my guys up to Ace status, each with a specialty (A to A, A to G, etc.), and put together two 4 ship flights. One had two planes decked to the gills in air to air armament, while the other 2 had shrikes and durandals. In looking over the mission map, I noticed an enemy airfield nearby that had to be the nest for all those fighters that kept coming in on my group heading for the SAMs. So, this 4 ship package was tasked with rendering the airfield incapacitated. It worked! The 4 ship package heading for the SAMs met with little air to air resistance once the field was taken out, and the mission was completed with no friendly losses. I know this is a Tornado thread (and probably belongs in the Combat sim forum), but I had to stand up and defend F3, despite its flaws. As was said already, they don't make 'em like they used to...Regards,JonathanKATL