Sign in to follow this  
Reset XPDR

Killer ILS at SCIP

I was flying the approach to rwy 10 at SCIP (Easter Island in the South Pacfic) at night in 1/8mile vis conditions in my 767 PIC, and a 10kt crosswind from about 130 degrees. I had a three autopilot autoland engaged as I crossed what should have been the threshold, when a radar and tower appeared out of the fog that fatally clipped my undercarriage just before I set the aircraft down parallel to the runway and about 50m offset to the right of the rwy in the grass. The aircraft was not a writeoff, but I did need to use full power to taxi the nose through the grass. :-lol I thought I might have set the ILS up incorrectly, especially the OBS course which is known to cause offset approaches in 767PIC if it is out by a degree or two, but everything checked out OK. I cleared the weather, made night into day, but still the same effect. Finally, I changed to the default 737 (ughh!) and it puts itself down in the same spot. If I try the rwy 28 approach, the same thing happens, but this time the aircraft sets down 50m to the left of the runway. It's as if the rwy is 50m out from where the ILS thinks it should be.Has anyone experienced this killer ILS approach at SCIP and can confirm my experience? :-halo Or should the virtual board of enquiry find me guilty of negligence and remove me from flight status? :-newburn Well, at least until I exonerate myself. ;)

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Guest lamont

Just flew it the other day in a Falcon 50 and yep same problem except I had good visibility so I was able to recover and land on the runway. I don't know if it's a glitch in FS or the ILS is offset for real but it does get your attention.

Guest Marvel

I've checked SCIP in the real world jepensen chart and yeah, the ILS localiser is indicated be offset to the right of runway 10. So it's a vissual landing. VatinVTBD

Thanks for the replies.Is there anything in FS2K2 that indicates offset localisers, or does one need to reference real world jepperson charts to find this out?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Guest rbbarker

Check out my Around the World Adventure at the link below. I, too, just attempted a landing at SCIP and really got fouled up. There are some screenshots there.Boyd BarkerSenior Command CaptainKBOS Hub ManagerWestWind Airlineshttp://home.houston.rr.com/checklist/DFexperience.jpghttp://home.houston.rr.com/checklist/checklist.htmlMy DF737 Around the World Adventure: http://home.houston.rr.com/checklist/aroundtheworld.html

March 2003.  This is the oldest thread I've ever seen resurrected.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

March 2003. This is the oldest thread I've ever seen resurrected.

Hook

I'd say the oldest i've ever seen as well.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator