Sign in to follow this  

re-assigning joystick buttons

Hello All:As it stands in FS2002, anyone who doesn't like Microsoft's default joystick button assignments and control surface sensitivities has to go into the program's "Options" menu and change them at the start of every simming session. I find no way, inside the program, to "save" my new settings after they are made. Does anyone know how I can replace Microsoft's default joystick assignments with my own? Thanx for any help.

Your new settings should "save" forever, as long as the CPU was shut down normally after use. You can also use "FSUIPC" to change settings, although I don't. I don't have a specific fix in your case, but at least you'll know that within normal operation of FS2002, the changes should stay put. I use two joysticks in combination with rudder pedals. Both USB & analog. If my settings reverted to default.......... I'd give up! :)L.Adamson

Guest RonB49

Each time you do a normal exit from FS2002, the configuration file (FS2002.cfg) should be updated with the changes that you have made. The next time that you start FS2002, It should load with thos, previously made, changes included. If that is not happening, then I would think of three things:1. FS2002 is not shutting down properly on exit,2. FS2002.cfg is write protected, or3. The line "LOCKED=1" has been added to your Joystick definitions area(s) of FS2002.cfg file.Corrective actions might be:o review your FS2002 shutdown procedure, for number 1,o check the file attributes of FS2002.cfg,o remove the offending line or change it to "LOCKED=0".I hope that this helps. R-

>Your new settings should "save" forever, as long as the CPU >was shut down normally after use. You can also use "FSUIPC" >to change settings, although I don't. >>I don't have a specific fix in your case, but at least >you'll know that within normal operation of FS2002, the >changes should stay put. I use two joysticks in combination >with rudder pedals. Both USB & analog. If my settings >reverted to default.......... I'd give up! :) >>L.Adamson Thanx, L.Adamson, for the suggestions. After a good night's sleep, however, I awakened with another answer this morning which seems to work fine. I just edited the generic button settings in the 'devices.cfg' file in the FS2002 main directory. This configuration file contains the default settings for a generic joystick as well as specific settings for a couple of dozen different joystick manufacturers. I cranked up FS2002 after making the changes and all the assignments were there on the joystick assignments list, just as I had edited them in Notepad. Grandaddy

>Each time you do a normal exit from FS2002, the >configuration file (FS2002.cfg) should be updated with the >changes that you have made. The next time that you start >FS2002, It should load with thos, previously made, changes >included. If that is not happening, then I would think of >three things: >>1. FS2002 is not shutting down properly on exit, >2. FS2002.cfg is write protected, or >3. The line "LOCKED=1" has been added to your Joystick >definitions area(s) of FS2002.cfg file. >>Corrective actions might be: >>o review your FS2002 shutdown procedure, for number 1, >o check the file attributes of FS2002.cfg, >o remove the offending line or change it to "LOCKED=0". >>I hope that this helps. R- Many thanx for the suggestions. They have, indeed, helped define my problem more clearly. In the meantime, however, after a good night's sleep, I awakened this morning with a 'quick fix' which seems to work. I edited the generic button settings in the 'devices.cfg' file of FS2002's main directory. This is the file which contains the default settings for a generic joystick as well as specific settings for a number of different joystick manufacturers. I ran FS2002 after making the changes and all the proper assignments were there on the joystick assignments list, just as I had set them up. Grandaddy